• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Finch or Purple Finch? (1 Viewer)

JMomOhio

How do I tell the difference? All along I've thought these were Purple Finch, then someone came to the house last weekend and said they were House Finch! Who's correct? :brains:

Last edited:
JMomOhio said:
How do I tell the difference? All along I've thought these were Purple Finch, then someone came to the house last weekend and said they were House Finch! Who's correct? :brains:

House Finch. Sorry (still a nice bird, though). Top of head more grey/brown (as opposed to soft and diffused red. Prominent red forehead indicative of a male House, as are the well defined markings on the breast).

Last edited:
Thanks Robert! No kidding! Welp, I need to call my daughters then and tell them I'm a dummy! I also get to take last weekend's guest out to dinner. I've lost the bet! LOL! Do they ever travel together? Perhaps I just got a picture of the house finch and not the purple finch. LOL!

Yes, I think I see the difference now. The color of the House finch is more red and the Purple finch has color on it's back. Gee, kinda disappointed now! Wonder if I'll ever see a real purple finch! Dang! :-C
Thanks again, Robert!

JMomOhio said:
Yes, I think I see the difference now. The color of the House finch is more red and the Purple finch has color on it's back. Gee, kinda disappointed now! Wonder if I'll ever see a real purple finch! Dang! :-C
Thanks again, Robert!

Sooner or later, you will. That's how it happens. Ain't birding great?

Robert / Seattle said:
Sooner or later, you will. That's how it happens. Ain't birding great?

Awwww...don't tease me now! LOL! I know that's how birding goes, but I thought I had this species nailed down!!! It only took me 8 years to lure the pileateds into my suet feeder so I guess I can be patient again!

JMomOhio said:
I'm really having difficulty seeing the difference.

As someone who has similar troubles, I like to use 'Identify Yourself' by Bill Thompson published by Birdwatcher's Digest. It helps a lot for issues like this.

GTeig said:
As someone who has similar troubles, I like to use 'Identify Yourself' by Bill Thompson published by Birdwatcher's Digest. It helps a lot for issues like this.

Thanks for the info! I have a neighbor with the same name who is a real jerk so it won't be difficult to remember that name! LOL!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back