• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beak Growth? (1 Viewer)

Alex_sk

A lady who *hearts* nature
Hi

Whilst on holiday in Mallorca recently, I noticed this spotted flycatcher with a growth on its beak. Other than that it seemed to be in good health and was feeding OK. Was wondering though what this growth might have been and if it'll get worse?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alex

Attachments

• Mallorca012.jpg
    Mallorca012.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 132
It sure looks nasty. I've seen ticks on the cheeks but never on the beak like this. At least it looks like it's on the beak.

I've frequently ringed birds with ticks around the beak like this. I always record this information and check retraps to see if the ticks have gone, and have retrapped birds where the ticks have indeed gone. Sure doesn't look pretty though.

Jon

Back in the summer a group of friends were watching a webcam on a bald eagles' nest in western Canada. A young eagle developed a growth, similar to this, on its beak. It was diagnosed as avian pox. The beak had to be removed, as the growth was interfering with feeding and breathing and would have caused death of left untreated. A new beak was fashioned for the young eagle and it is still in a rehab place - probably going to have another prosthesis as growth causes change.
I will try to find a link to the story, probably on the Hancock forum.

It looks like a tick and it will probably drop off when it has gorged sufficiently.

Jon

I enlarged the pic to have a coser look.

I don't think it is a tick. The beak is open so there could be problems with feeding. Poor thing.

Oh, but Alex said it was feeding OK.

I agree with Pat UK about alerting wildlife authorites. Avian pox can spread. Sometimes those tumours grow fast and kill the birds.

Attachments

• flycatcher.jpg
    flycatcher.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Back in the summer a group of friends were watching a webcam on a bald eagles' nest in western Canada. A young eagle developed a growth, similar to this, on its beak. It was diagnosed as avian pox. The beak had to be removed, as the growth was interfering with feeding and breathing and would have caused death of left untreated. A new beak was fashioned for the young eagle and it is still in a rehab place - probably going to have another prosthesis as growth causes change.
I will try to find a link to the story, probably on the Hancock forum.

Here are some links to the story of the eagle with avian pox. I was wrong about the location. Instead of western Canada, this happened is Eastern USA - just a bit out!!

Link to lengthy slide show about the young eagle
http://www.wildlifecenter.org/news/articles/20080523.php

The story as it unfolded, back in May, on the Hancock forum
http://discuss.hancockwildlifechannel.org/viewtopic.php?p=282247#p282247

The eaglet with the Avian pox has had radical surgery - and it's beak is still not straight - but it was another eagle that had an artificial beak made for it - that had it's own shot off!!
I'll try to find the link!!

I would say that the bird in the picture has definitely got avian pox - is the person who took the photo in a position to alert the wildlife people in the area??

Here is the link:
http://niwra.org/recovery.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for all your responses.

I was only on holiday so am not really in a position to alert the authorities Pat. Will see if someone on the Mallorca thread can help. I can remember where and when I saw this poor bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back