• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (4 Viewers)

Found the Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook this afternoon. Sat low on the brook next to an inlet pipe.
Then saw the three Shoveler and four Goosander at Manor Farm park. Great!

Was the 1st winter male Goosander still there? Interesting to see it in the company of the adult male yesterday. Also two females present.

There were four Shoveler yesterday too, 1M 3F, and c10 Redwing.

Two Goosander reported on the fishing lake at Rowheath Pavilion last week. I would guess these were some of the Manor Farm Park regulars, given the proximity of the two sites.

The Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook is getting difficult to find so I thought I best check out the River Rea.
I was not having much luck there either until I finally found the Kingfisher opposite the flood defence wall they are building next to the River Rea. Glad the Kingfisher is hanging in there.
It was funny the Kingfisher flew off down the river and they've put some scaffold across the river. I was not sure if the Kingfisher would go over, under or perch on it. Thankfully it flew over it.
Then as on the Lifford Res thread, I found another Kingfisher. Hope they are a pair. Great!
(Rob the rain made it difficult to see the Goosander clearly)

Last edited:
The Kingfisher was perched over the Bourn Brook this morning by the pool formed by the stream that joins the Bourn from Harborne Golf course. There was a pair of Bullfinch nearby and another Bullfinch halfway down the walkway. Great!

Popped round to Lifford very briefly pre-football this morning. Very quiet compared to yesterday. Kingfisher on the River Rea again.

Manor Farm Park 4pm

Goosander x 5 (1M adult, 1M first winter, 3F)
Shoveler x 3 (1M 2F)
Mistle Thrush (x2) - there was a pair of Mistle Thrush in the park all through the early part of last year.

Mixed finch flock in trees along the western side of the pool - at least Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch

Noticeably smaller number of Canada Geese than recent weeks.

Today's Kingfishers on the Bourn Brook walkway early this morning and then Leasowes lunch time. Great!

Last edited:
Kingfishers this morning were on the River Rea, Stirchley, it was calling loudly on a hidden bend and another on the River Cole behind Trittiford also kind of a hidden bend. Great!

Posting here because this thread seems to be read by folks who visit Manor Farm Park reasonably regularly.

1.30pm this afternoon, Canada Goose being attacked by a black dog on the edge of the water along the wooded side of the lake. Terrier-sized dog. Owner a fairly affluent-looking white male, late 20s/early 30s, 6ft-ish, stubble-y beard, blue coat and blue jeans. He had another dog of the similar age and breed with him, this one was dark grey in colour. Both dogs off their leads around the lake and separated. He had headphones in (had to remove them when I spoke to him) and clearly had no idea where the dogs were or what they were doing. Both dogs had red and white candy cane-style leads.

When I spoke to him he told me that I "have a problem" and tried to excuse it as "animal behaviour".

The goose retreated to the water once the dog was scared off. Tail/wing/back feathers a mess, and very lop-sided in the water.

I've reported the incident to the RSPCA, who've asked me to pop back over later and check how the goose is getting on, then call them back. If anyone else is around the area, please keep an eye out for it - sadly, it won't be hard to miss.

If anyone sees this numpty and his dogs, and feels they can speak to him, it would be good for him to know the incident has been reported.

Last edited:
On Tuesday evening, the Canada Goose which had suffered the dog attack had retreated to the island in the middle of the lake in Manor Farm Park, with the rest of the geese forming a 'guard of honour' around the island. Sadly, by this afternoon it was clearly dead. The carcass is visible amongst the undergrowth on the island.

On a lighter note, the adult male Goosander is now enjoying the company of anywhere between three and five females. Shoveler still present also, 1M 2F.

Sad to hear about the Goose, Rob. Dog owners hey.
There were a couple (might have been three) Kingfisher flying up the Bourn Brook. With the sun out it was like spring had arrived.

No Kingfishers on the Bourn Brook this morning, but I finally caught up with the Dipper. Flew in under the Harborne Lane bridge within seconds of my arrival, perched and then turned around to show me his big white chest. Watched him bobbing up and down for a while before he took himself off into the undergrowth closer to the bank.

Also flushed the Snipe again up by the New Fosse Way bridge, flew off towards the reed beds calling.

Green Woodpecker, flew off into trees on the canal embankment
Great Spotted Woodpecker
At least two Grey Wagtails
A couple of Song Thrushes high in the trees singing loudly

As I walked back to the car, a pair of Nuthatches were calling loudly to each other and checking out potential nest sites in Selly Oak Park

Great that you managed to catch up with the Dipper Rob, I'd pretty much given up on it. Might have a look later.

BTW I did see 19 Barnacle Geese at Manor Farm Park this morning. Presumably these are some of the birds that have been around Edgbaston for the last few years, but this the first time I have seen any locally.

Cheers

Stu.

Yes Rob, well spotted on finding a Dipper. I saw one a single time last year in January.
I looked behind the Uni halls for the Dipper and what did I find? A Kingfisher diving from the wall and it caught a fish. It was in full view from the bridge where the students walk across.
Then it flew down the brook towards the city past a Grey Wagtail that was jumping in the air to catch the flies above the water.
Then I ran back up to the New Fosse Way bridge and what flew in? Yes another Kingfisher. It sat in a couple trees by the small tunnel before flying off, doing a couple body rolls up the brook towards the Bourn Brook walkway. I think it was checking it's territory.
Before all this I had found my first Kingfisher for 2017 digging it's nest hole while it's partner sat by watching.
What a great weekend for Kingfisher, there's a few on the Bourn Brook and a couple on the River Rea. Great!

Last edited:
Great that you managed to catch up with the Dipper Rob, I'd pretty much given up on it. Might have a look later.

Any luck?
I hadn't been over there for about three weeks, been checking Lifford instead in my Saturday morning spare hour. Couldn't believe my luck, the Dipper was the first bird I saw.

Not been a bad weekend - Dipper et al on Saturday morning, couple of hours at Sandwell Valley on the way to watch Walsall win at home again (four on the bounce now) and then a dash down the M5 to Slimbridge this morning. Shame they're not all like that.

A quick stroll along the Bourne Brooke at lunchtime provided Kingfisher, Reed Bunting, GS Woodpecker, Goldcrest and a pair of Grey Wagtails. Not bad!

News today from Trevor Jones on Twitter that he saw the Dipper on the Bourn Brook.
From the Fosse way to the footprint boulder.
It appears to be the same Dipper with the ring.
Great!!

A couple Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook walkway this afternoon. A couple Grey Wagtails and several songbirds in a few spots feeding on the insects along the brook. I could not find the Dipper. A dog walker was very pleased to see the Kingfisher flying past, taking the bend and she told me she'd had a Tawny Owl in her back garden nearby, checking BTO they are all along the Bourn Brook. Great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back