• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (18 Viewers)

Garden Ticks

2 interesting records from my urban terrace house garden today. 7 waxwings on trees above a neighbours house but more surprisingly, a snipe did a couple of fly-by's past the kitchen window, bizarre!:eek!:

As shown on the weather blog the River Nidd at Knaresborough is frozen as is the Ouse over the 1237 ring road in York. Good photo opportunities from the bridge on the A59 at Knaresborough and the 1237 York.

Hurry up before global warming comes our way :t:

John.

Two village ticks with a female Goldeneye on the pond along with at least 2 male Pochard in with c50 Tufted Ducks - the springs keep it ice free. Didn't have bins so may be other bits and pieces at the back.

Also an in garden tick with Pied Wagtail on the patio - had them on neighbours roofs but never actually on the deck.

Had a short trip to Rodley Nature Reserve yesterday. Its a really lovely well managed little reserve - shame its only open Sat, Sun, Wed. Still I suppose it gives wildlife a break! ;)
Wasn't much about - most activity at managers garden. Nice to see tree sparrows. All the lakes and canal were frozen. Wonder where all birds are going? Bird feeders?

Saturn starting to show now. Look in the eastern skies in the morning. Find venus (really bright) and Saturn appears as a yellowish planet to the north-east of Venus - rings showing at good angle apparently.

No rush though - will be with us until September!

Had a short trip to Rodley Nature Reserve yesterday. Its a really lovely well managed little reserve - shame its only open Sat, Sun, Wed. Still I suppose it gives wildlife a break! ;)
Wasn't much about - most activity at managers garden. Nice to see tree sparrows. All the lakes and canal were frozen. Wonder where all birds are going? Bird feeders?

Just to inform anyone thinking of visiting Rodley over Xmas, it's open on Sunday 26th (Boxing Day) and Monday 27th December. Then it's back to normal, i.e. Wednesday 29th December, Sat 1st and Sunday 2nd January.

Photos and waffle from this Sunday's WeBS count at Rodley on my blog:
http://indie-birder.blogspot.com/

Merry Christmas all

Mealy Xmas!!!

ok..its getting boring now.failed with Arctic..but all the best to Yorkshires best..sorry can't make the meet...take care all..and do u know what...have not met one single person on yorkshire meets that i dislike...better than internet dating!!!!!

Paul

Aw bugger

Aus all out for 98, Eng 148 without loss at present, hope the boys can pull this one back :t:
Awwww thanks for that Andy..........! But please have some sympathy for us poor sods who don't have sky and do all they can to lock off from all news media so they can watch the highlights "live". The last place I expected for news to filter thro' was here.....!.... There, my last grumps for this year. Sorry again Andy............Bloody good news all the same. Joe:t:

Last edited:
Seasons Greetings

o:)o:) I have just logged on for the first time in two days, so a belated holiday greeting from me also.

Here's to lots of interesting birds in 2011. The current freezing weather is certainly bringing them in. Two waxwing, four fieldfare and a couple of brambling in the garden this morning. Keep on feeding!

Graeme

Users who are viewing this thread

Back