• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (1 Viewer)

Hi Ian

Called in at Cowpen Bewley as our last stop of a good day's birding on Saturday that took in the Leas, Blackhall Rocks, Crimdon Dene, Saltholme and Seals Sands. It's a few months since we last visited the feeding station and I must admit we were shocked to see how overgrown and neglected it appeared to be with the paths to the feeding station disappearing into the undergrowth and the the grasses and vegetation almost up to the height of the feeders, none of which had any food on them. This was at about 4pm on the Saturday afternoon. Needless to say there was no activity at the feeding station and we wondered what the reason for this sad state of affairs was. Not being from this area we didn't know who was responsible for maintaining the feeding station but it seemed a real shame that it was in such a neglected state.

- slightly off topic - but Saltholme's facilities are coming on a treat and the birder's breakfast can't be beaten for value - so long as you don't care too much about the carbs!

Hi John,

It's just a winter feeding station here run on behalf of the council by the park staff. It's only in use between November and the end of April. During the summer it's left to it's own devices before being cleared again in November.

Food is still provided on the tables in the car park, mostly by visitors.

I've mixed feelings about whether it should be on the go all through the year round. It would be a magnet to see more birds in the summer but few normally nest in that area leaving them to disperse around the Park to breed. It also avoids the problem of unsuitable food being available to feed nestlings.

Like most areas though it means in summer locating birds to see becomes much more difficult away from the ponds.

I agree about Saltholme. It's coming along nicely though I think it will be a few years yet before it fully reaches it's potential. A few others have said the best bit at the moment is the cafe! ;)

Bugs

I had a bit of a bug hunt, as well as birds on monday.
Someone had just been in the feeding area flattening the undergrowth, so only one Blue Tit seen there. Have the feeding tables in the Car park gone? I never noticed them:h?:.
Other birds seen, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Coot, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Sedge Warbler, fly by of the Kingfisher over the big stream and fly over the hill from a Cuckoo:t:.

On the bug front, quite few ladybirds in different development stages ie Lava, Pupa and adult, Blue and Red Damsells, no dragons:-C and Quite a few Scorpion flies.

I don't know if these are regular at the site but I found a couple of Cardinal Beetles and what looks like a Harlequin Ladybird:eek!:. Could be bad news if it is:C

Attachments

• Cardinal Beetle2.jpg
    Cardinal Beetle2.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Large Red.jpg
    Large Red.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Scorpionfly Female.jpg
    Scorpionfly Female.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Spotty.jpg
    Spotty.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Spotty Take off.jpg
    Spotty Take off.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 85
The tables are still there - unless they've been vandalised again! I'll check on Sat. morning.

I've seen the Cardinal Beetles, there's quite a few beetles and ladybirds around. I'd not looked too closely at them but I'll have a closer look next time I visit.

A very brief visit today just to check on the Kingfishers - still not fledged!

Not an area I know, but I have just found your thread and there are some stunning photos and a really interesting read.

The car park tables have been removed now. Looks like food is being put out again in the feeding station by visitors but only a Great Tit present when I looked in.

A pretty dull morning weatherwise. Overcast and the occasional light shower.

By the car park when I arrived Whitethroat were once again singing and in display flight likewise with a Sedge Warbler. Several Reed Bunting were sat about singing. The terrapin is still there.

Very quiet heading over to the lake with just a Willow Warbler, Blackcap and a Yellowhammer heard/seen.

The lake was quiet as well. Only bird of note on the water was a Cormorant. A Little Grebe was in front of the hide tucking into a very large Smooth Newt. Young Great Tit and LTT were in the bushes either side.

The Sparrowhawk chicks have hatched and the male was seen several times carrying prey. Whilst sat on a bench a Cuckoo flew stright towards me and then veered left towards the railway. Kingfishers were conspicuous by their absence. Only seen once in over an hour. Mind you as I headed up Claxton Beck two of them were sat on the sides of the weir - an adult on this side and a juvenile on the other so it looks like some at least have fledged.

Wren x10 were quite a sight all together in a willow bush chattering away and flitting about but never moving very far.

The Little Owl did it's usual trick of flying off as soon as it saw me approaching along the track. First glimpse of the young today though as one was sat in the nest opening. A singing Yellowhammer and a Whitethroat were sat in the top of the tree.

Nothing else seen heading back towards the lake where I bumped into Francis. As we headed back to where I'd seen the Kingfishers one flew by down the beck and then another was by the weir again.

Attachments

• IMG_9496ao.JPG
    IMG_9496ao.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9546ao.JPG
    IMG_9546ao.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9555ao.JPG
    IMG_9555ao.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9508ao.JPG
    IMG_9508ao.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9490ao.JPG
    IMG_9490ao.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 51
Birght but overcast again this morning. A short walk around the Park with Marmot.

Still plenty of birds singing today. Most notable were several Sedge Warbler and Whitethroat singing and in display flight. Lots of Reed Bunting still. Chiffchaff, Wren, Robin and Blackcap plus two Yellowhammer heard.

Kingfishers still taking food into the nest - despite the juvenile seen last visit.

Most notable sightings today were of butterflies with far more variety around with the first Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper and Ringlet. Also about Large Skipper, Small White, Common Blue, Painted Lady and Speckled Wood.

Only a few dragonflies today - Four-spot Chaser and several damselflies.

The terrapin was sat out on the weeded pond as we left.

Attachments

• IMG_9664ao.JPG
    IMG_9664ao.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9678ao.JPG
    IMG_9678ao.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9686ao.JPG
    IMG_9686ao.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9933ao.JPG
    IMG_9933ao.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9581ao.JPG
    IMG_9581ao.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 33
If the kingfishers are still taking food to the nest, the juvenile will most likely be from their first brood. Its very likely the chicks are still in the nest.

When they leave the nest they stay close to the parent for about a week being taught how to fish, after which ready or not they are chased off so a second brood can be started, (which is what they will be sitting on now) sometimes even a third brood can be started.

Its a sad fact that almost 50% of young kingfishers die, because they haven't mastered the art of feeding themselves, makes you wonder if they spent 2 weeks teaching them, they may not need a second or third brood.

:cool:

If the kingfishers are still taking food to the nest, the juvenile will most likely be from their first brood. Its very likely the chicks are still in the nest.

When they leave the nest they stay close to the parent for about a week being taught how to fish, after which ready or not they are chased off so a second brood can be started, (which is what they will be sitting on now) sometimes even a third brood can be started.

Its a sad fact that almost 50% of young kingfishers die, because they haven't mastered the art of feeding themselves, makes you wonder if they spent 2 weeks teaching them, they may not need a second or third brood.

:cool:

This is the first time they've bred at this particular spot and this will be the first brood. They've been monitored since they first began displaying here. They tried last year at a different location in the Park but no fledglings were ever seen. Everyone is hoping that if they succeed this time they'll try for another brood this year. It's a little puzzling with the other juvenile as to where it came from. One of the voluntary wardens saw/heard a juvenile last night on the west side of the Pond as well, but other than those two sightings none have been seen.

At least there's loads of small fish in the pond so starvation shouldn't be a problem once they fledge. Of course the Sparrowhawks nearby and now with nestlings maybe another problem they will have to face!

A brief visit this morning just to the lake and along Claxton Beck.

Kingfisher taking fish into nest still though just once in over an hour. A juvenile Kingfisher on the weir again on Claxton Beck. The Sparrowhawks were feeding the chicks - five nestlings I'm told though not yet big enough to see.

Great Spotted Woodpecker in larches by the hide and a Kestrel low overhead. Little Grebe x2 in front of the hide catching another newt (apparently it was a smooth newt the other day not a great crested!), also catching a dragonfly nymph and several small fish.

Most notable sightings of the vist were dragonflies with Common Darter on the scrapes plus a male Broad-bodied Chaser and several Four-spot Chaser. On the lake in front of the hide was a very active Emperor Dragonfly.

Attachments

• IMG_1781ao.JPG
    IMG_1781ao.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2034ao.JPG
    IMG_2034ao.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2099ao.JPG
    IMG_2099ao.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2104ao.JPG
    IMG_2104ao.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1792ao.JPG
    IMG_1792ao.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 40
A couple of hours spent around the Park this afternoon once the skies brightened a little. Mostly just around the lake.

New picnic benches were being installed by the car park and pools. The terrapin was sitting out on the weed again.

Very few birds singing today with just the odd Willow Warbler and Blackcap. Lots of birds around the hide on the lake with young Great Tit c.6, young Blue Tit c.5, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Bullfinch, Chaffinch, young Dunnock and Long-tailed Tit x15 most of which were juveniles.

A Cormorant and the usual ducks were on the lake and a Heron flew over.

Best find of the day though were dragonflies on the scrapes beside the hide with my first Southern Hawker and Common Hawker plus a Broad-bodied Chaser and several Four-spot Chaser.

No sign of any Kingfishers when I was there.

Attachments

• IMG_2702ao.JPG
    IMG_2702ao.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2421ao.JPG
    IMG_2421ao.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2737ao.JPG
    IMG_2737ao.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3289ao.JPG
    IMG_3289ao.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3797bo.JPG
    IMG_3797bo.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 31
Had a ride up the cycleway last night with the wife and was talking to a bloke who had seen one of the parent Kingfishers with one of the young ones whilst stood on Cloff bridge.Did`nt see it when we got there but there was a flock of young Long Tail Tits .On the way back stopped at Cloff bridge still no Kingfisher but caught a glimpse of a Barn Owl flying into the Park.

Graham

Had a ride up the cycleway last night with the wife and was talking to a bloke who had seen one of the parent Kingfishers with one of the young ones whilst stood on Cloff bridge.Did`nt see it when we got there but there was a flock of young Long Tail Tits .On the way back stopped at Cloff bridge still no Kingfisher but caught a glimpse of a Barn Owl flying into the Park.

Graham

A great find with the Barn Owl. I've not seen one here for around two years now. Must admit though I don't get over there often enough on an evening. I'll have to have a look one night.

Overcast again this morning but pretty bright still and very humid.

Heading up the cycleway starting off, things were very quiet with very few birds singing. Just a few Whitethroat, Linnet and Yellowhammer. No sign of the Little Owls today but a weasel made up for it. I was stood on the path when it came wandering along towards me stopping every now and again to look left and right but never straight ahead. It got with within about 2m before realised I was there and ducked into the grass. Around a dozen Tree Sparrow by the manure heap with several Swallow overhead and sat along the wire fence plus a few Swift and a Mistle Thrush.

Cloff Bridge to the lake - nothing seen only a Kingfisher heard flying along the beck. Lots of Kingfisher activity around the lake though with at least a dozen sightings in the hour I was there with an adult and a juvenile and one if not two moving between the lake and Cow Bridge Beck.

Several sightings of Sparrowhawk as well with the male making several food deliveries.

Emperor Dragonfly on the lake in front of the hide with a few Four-spot Chaser as well and a few on the scrapes.

Back at the car park pools and a brief visit to the south side of the road brought several Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Wren, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and Blackcap.

Attachments

• IMG_4361ao.JPG
    IMG_4361ao.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4440ao.JPG
    IMG_4440ao.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4475bo.JPG
    IMG_4475bo.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4516ao.JPG
    IMG_4516ao.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4631ao.JPG
    IMG_4631ao.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 35
A few more photos from today. Just record shots of the Emperor Dragonfly.

Attachments

• IMG_4590ao.JPG
    IMG_4590ao.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4607ao.JPG
    IMG_4607ao.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4583ao.JPG
    IMG_4583ao.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4586ao.JPG
    IMG_4586ao.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4714ao.JPG
    IMG_4714ao.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 31
Much better views of Emperor Dragonfly today. As well as the one on the lake there was another on the large weed free pond by the car park - at least until a coach loads of school kids arrived to start pond dipping!

Very few birds calling today with just Yellowhammer, Whitethroat and the odd Blackcap heard. Kingfishers were quite active again on the lake and becks.

Attachments

• IMG_4861co.JPG
    IMG_4861co.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4891ao.JPG
    IMG_4891ao.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4865ao.JPG
    IMG_4865ao.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4920ao.JPG
    IMG_4920ao.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4910ao.JPG
    IMG_4910ao.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 37
A lovely sunny morning to be out. A shame the birds don't seem to appreciate it as much as the seem to hide more - other than the Yellowhammer and Whitethroats.

Pretty quiet again for birds and no sign of the Little Owl. Just Whitethroat and Yellowhammer along the cycleway and nothing much else seen between there and the lake.

Some Kingfisher activity on the lake with several sightings of a juvenile mostly in and around the corner in front of the hide.

Once again the dragonflies stole the show with three Emperor over the lake and another over the pond by the car park. Best sighting though was a Common Hawker in the scrapes peched on a hawthorn for a while.

Lots of damselflies in the same area including Common Blue, Large Red. Also several Four-spot Chaser and a Common Darter.

The Sparrowhawks were ringed this morning - all five - comprising three females and two males! A very good year for them - last year there were just four. Mind you one male was a bit of a runt, much smaller than the others.

Butterflies seen included Speckled Wood (loads), Small Tortoiseshell, Common Blue, Ringlet, Small Heath, Meadow Brown, Painted Lady and a Comma.

Attachments

• IMG_5491ao.JPG
    IMG_5491ao.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5494ao.JPG
    IMG_5494ao.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5514ao.JPG
    IMG_5514ao.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5239ao.JPG
    IMG_5239ao.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5595ao.JPG
    IMG_5595ao.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 27
A few more from today.

Attachments

• IMG_5309ao.JPG
    IMG_5309ao.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5371ao.JPG
    IMG_5371ao.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5380ao.JPG
    IMG_5380ao.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5211ao.JPG
    IMG_5211ao.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5635ao.JPG
    IMG_5635ao.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 33
Pretty quiet for birds this morning. A shame really as it was such a lovely sunny morning.

No sign of the Little Owls today and not much else along the cycleway other than the odd Whitethroat, Wren and Chaffinch.

Very few ducks on the lake, the only bird of note being a Heron sat in the dead tree on the west side. A check on the Sparrowhawks showed all five are still doing well and grown enormously over the last week. Both parents were in attendance with the male twice bringing in food whilst I was there.

I bumped in to Francis, one of the wardens. He been taking photos of the young Kingfishers from his hide, including the male. I sat there an hour but no joy for me other than one fleeting glimpse as it flew past. No sign of any breeding activity at all at the nest so they must have given up on trying for a second brood.

Dragonflies were in better numbers towards lunchtime with two Common Hawker over the scrapes plus several Common Darter and Four-spot Chaser and lots of damselflies. An Emperor Dragonfly was over the lake. Earlier Id spotted what looked to be a Ruddy Darter but lost sight of it and could relocate it. I'm sure it won't be long before they're in good numbers.

Whilst at the scrapes a female Great Spotted Woodpecker flew into the larch trees to peer around a while before flying off again.

Butterflies - Meadow Brown, Speckeld Wood, Red Admiral, Comma, Common Blue, Large Skipper, Small Heath, Small White, Ringlet, Gatekeeper.

The terrapin was sat out in the sun again.

Attachments

• IMG_9758ao.JPG
    IMG_9758ao.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9565ao.JPG
    IMG_9565ao.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9858ao.JPG
    IMG_9858ao.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9881ao.JPG
    IMG_9881ao.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9507ao.JPG
    IMG_9507ao.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 38
A revisit this morning. I figured I'd sit at the screen Francis the warden had set up. I'd planned on staying only an hour but after 40 minutes a juvenile Kingfisher arrived and I ended up staying to watch it. 53 minutes later it left when a Wood Pigeon disturbed it as it flew onto a neighbouring perch.

Other highlights were seeing the female Sparrowhawk bathing in the dragonfly scrapes by the hide. Unfortunately it saw me before I saw it! Quite off that three rabbits were munching grass right beside where it was bathing - no threat to them guess. Mind you a stoat was sneaking through the grass but ran off on seeing me.

On the pond itself there was some action as the pair of LBB Gulls made a kill each. One took a tiny Mallard chick and the other looked like it grabbed a young Coot.

Two Little Grebe, an adult and a juvenile were in front of the screen as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0064ao.JPG
    IMG_0064ao.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0330ao.JPG
    IMG_0330ao.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0453ao.JPG
    IMG_0453ao.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9966ao.JPG
    IMG_9966ao.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9933ao.JPG
    IMG_9933ao.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 26
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back