• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (1 Viewer)

A few more photos from today.

Attachments

• IMG_3760ao.JPG
    IMG_3760ao.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3883ao.JPG
    IMG_3883ao.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3909ao.JPG
    IMG_3909ao.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3685ao.JPG
    IMG_3685ao.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4005ao.JPG
    IMG_4005ao.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 39
Bright start to the morning, Good to see Ian yesterday so I thought I would get a head start on him today..... Ian arrived just as I was getting out of the car (typical), Am I visiting the park too often perhaps?

Headed past the now unused feeding station to pick up Cow bridge beck, first sighting of Brown Hawker along the beck, what must have been hundreds of butterflies here, mainly Large White & Small White, with a few each of Painted Lady, Peacock, Wall, Common Blue, Tortoiseshell, Meadow Brown.
Followed cycleway up to Cloff bridge but was really quiet, same for Claxton Beck, though there were a few Migrant Hawkers about, and another Brown Hawker patrolling the pathway.
The scrapes had a dozen or so mixed common and ruddy darters, constantly being chased off by a pair of Migrant Hawkers and a Common Hawker. Got my first in flight Hawker too, not up to Ian's standard but at least it is still in the frame!
The main pond had a large number of darter pairs all ovipositing across the pond, otherwise mainly Mallard and Tufted Duck on the pond and the Little Grebe with the 2 Bobs as I call them - whenever I moved they would dive to safety and within seconds 'Bob' back to the surface in the same place - they perhaps need to practice their disaster recovery plan a bit more!!
The Terrapin was still on the nest!
What seemed like an infinite number of hoverflies too!
Heading back to the car a Dunnock a) scared the life out of me, and b) gave me a right telling off for walking past it!
One last 'unusual' was a very small fly which looked like it was bursting at the seams, no idea what this was!

Attachments

• IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3142.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3189.jpg
    IMG_3189.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3192.jpg
    IMG_3192.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3199.jpg
    IMG_3199.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 34
A few more from this weekend, including the 'bursting' fly! - suggestions on a postcard please!

Attachments

• IMG_3175.jpg
    IMG_3175.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3203.jpg
    IMG_3203.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3209.jpg
    IMG_3209.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3213.jpg
    IMG_3213.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3221.jpg
    IMG_3221.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 50
It was certainly another day for dragonflies. Pretty much the same ones around as yesterday in the same places but today two Southern Hawker over the scrapes by the hide and at least half a dozen Migrant Hawker - first time I've seen them this summer. Well done in getting a photo of one Ray - I struck out with the ones in flight - too fuzzy.

Whilst at the scrapes the male Sparrowhawk flew over with a pretty large prey item - it's not too often they need both feet to hold on!

A Pochard back on the lake today as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4470ao.JPG
    IMG_4470ao.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4491ao.JPG
    IMG_4491ao.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4523ao.JPG
    IMG_4523ao.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4461ao.JPG
    IMG_4461ao.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4507ao.JPG
    IMG_4507ao.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 32
A lovely sunny morning for a wander around the park. A bit of a strong gusting wind at times though.

No dragonflies on the first two car park ponds when I arrived but a Common Hawker and several Common Darter over the weed covered one. Another Common Hawker and several darters as I passed through the gate in the hedge.

Only one Chaffinch and one Yellowhammer seen between the car park and the lake via the hedge alongside the activity centre.

The lake was quiet again though it was nice to see five Little Grebe chicks in three separate groups. Two with two adults a larger one on it's own and two more feeding on the other side of the lake.

On the scrapes the re-appearance of a Broad-bodied Chaser which I've not seen here since the beginning of July. A female resting. Common Hawker x3, Southern Hawker x2, Brown Hawker x3 mainly over the scrapes but venturing onto the lake. An Emperor Dragonfly was in it's usual spot in front of the bench under the tree.

A juvenile Robin was in the crab apple tree above the scrapes with an adult singing by the hide.

Lots of butterflies along the path by Claxton Beck. On reaching Cloff Birdge no sign of the large flock of last week but six Blue Tit came out the tree by the bridge one after another. Turning right along the cycleway several Whitethroat in the hedges and Yellowhammer x4. A Kestrel and a Mistle thrush passed over head. Only three Swallow over the horse fields and no martins at all. A flock c.30 comprising Linnet, Chaffinch and Greenfinch were flitting about by the farm. The Tree Sparrows were in their usual tree.

Nothing especial seen heading back towards the car park. A Brown Hawker was over the circular pond ovipositing with a Common Hawker butting in every now and again. Both disappeared once the sky clouded over.

Attachments

• IMG_5198bo.JPG
    IMG_5198bo.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5287ao.JPG
    IMG_5287ao.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5310ao.JPG
    IMG_5310ao.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5380ao.JPG
    IMG_5380ao.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5465ao.JPG
    IMG_5465ao.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 31
So much for the promise of a warm sunny day from the forecast! :C

It was overcast starting off this moring but some blue sky between the broken cloud. By the time I reached the lake though the sun was gone for the day. After that the cloud thickened and we had light showers on and off the rest of the day.

Not a great deal to see between the car park and lake. Just a Whitethroat by the car park ponds and a few Common Darter around the reeds and fence line.

The lake was much the same as my last visit though with a couple of new additions. A Mallard with five recently hatched chicks was by the lower bench. Whilst sat feeding/watching them a Brown Hawker flew in front of me and hung around quite a while feeding. I was a little surpised it was still on the wing as it was quite dull by them

In the middle of the lake was a female Tufted Duck with two young chicks. I can't recall them breeding here before but they could have done so. Plenty of Mallard and Tufted Duck scattered around and Coots. Little Grebe with four chicks still as well.

Heading along the lake and turning left along the path between the hill and lake I came across a group of butterflies comprising Wall Brown, Meadow Brown, Common Blue and at least three Brown Argus! I think they've bene reported here in previous years but it's the first time I've seen any myself. Quite a few Common Darter in that area as well.

The scrapes were very quiet with nothing in view at all. Another chap was kind enough to point out a pair of Common Hawker he'd been waiting 20 minutes to land. They were still there when I left an hour later!

I followed Claxton Beck up to the cycleway and then walked back down through Faith Wood before heading back to the car park. Nothing new seen other than several Speckled Wood along side the beck. No sign of the Sparrowhawks today - not even a squawk from them!

Being so dull the insect photos were all taken with the camera built in flash.

Attachments

• IMG_7759ao.JPG
    IMG_7759ao.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7799ao.JPG
    IMG_7799ao.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7887ao.JPG
    IMG_7887ao.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7931ao.JPG
    IMG_7931ao.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8202ao.JPG
    IMG_8202ao.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 41
A few more from this weekend, including the 'bursting' fly! - suggestions on a postcard please!
The hoverfly is infected with Entomophthora muscae.
Quite a clever little fungus that takes control of the flies brain.
Suggest you Google it and read about it - fascinating.

you are right, it is fascinating, we must have caught it in its final death throes because the fly was performing exactly to plan, it was walking up the stem to the top, we wondered why it didnt fly away when I poked the macro lens at it, but its brain wasn't it own by then I guess!
Thanks for the info John, hope you are well.

regards

Ray

A pretty decent morning. Mostly sunshine though the cloud built up towards lunchtime. A little on the chilly side as well in a very fresh wind that also strengthened as time went on.

I set off along the cycleway from the car park. Very little to see or hear right the way along to 100m after Cloff Bridge where Whitethoat c.8 were flitting about in the hedges. No Little Owls and just one Yellowhammer. A few Swallow were over the recently bailed hay fields on which several Magpie and Crow were dotted around. A Kestrel was hovering over the bailed area.

A flock of around 30 Linnet, Greenfinch and Goldfinch flew along the beck.

Heading back down the cycleway I struck the jackpot again at Cloff Bridge where a flock 80+ strong was moving out of Faith Wood and into the Willow trees along the beck - same place as last time but far more birds. At least 40 were Long-tailed Tit with lots of Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff plus Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Blackcap, Great Tit, Blue Tit and Whitethroat. The Chiffchaff were quite vociferous calling constantly. A Great Spotted Woodpecker was pecking away above them eventually flying off towards the car park.

Most of the birds continued through the trees along Claxton Beck as they fed though quite a few LTT headed back into Faith Wood.

Crossing Cloff Bridge a family of Whitethroat were feeding by the path - almost totally ignoring me apart from the occasional scolding.

Very few birds along the path by Claxton Beck - quite a few butterflies though - Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown, Wall and whites.

Just as I reached the scrapes a Brown Hawker flew in from the north, looped one pool and then promptly disappeared. A few minutes later two Common Hawker appeared.

I walked along the path to check the lake for Brown Hawker by the sign board when I heard a Kingfisher behind me. Just as I turned to look it flew over from Cow Bridge Beck by the larch tree and within a foot or so of my face! I'm sure I felt the breeze as it screamed by! It then veered right around the corner and along the lake edge.

I walked to the benches by the railway but I couldn't spot it anywhere. The lake itself was much the same as my last visit - just the usual selection.

Heading back along the path towards the hill I turned left following the path. The Brown Argus was in the exact same place as plast week with several Common Blue and Wall butterflies.

By then there were lots of Common Darter along the cinder track and grass path back towards the hide. A Migrant Hawker was by the start of the path up the hill and I saw it land on a bush but I couldn't locate it again.

The scrapes were busy on and off for the next hour with Brown Hawker x2, Common Hawker x3, lots of Common Darter and a few Emerald and Blue-tailed Damselfly.

The farmer was collecting the hay bails from the meadows as I headed back to the car park. Still some areas to be bailed up yet as well. The terrapin was on it's usual pool though no dragonflies at all on any of the pools.

I took lots of photos today but I'll likely to add them tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0082ao.JPG
    IMG_0082ao.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9779ao.JPG
    IMG_9779ao.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9835ao.JPG
    IMG_9835ao.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9885ao.JPG
    IMG_9885ao.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0224ao.JPG
    IMG_0224ao.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 34
A few more photos from yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_1046ao.JPG
    IMG_1046ao.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1165ao.JPG
    IMG_1165ao.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1239bo.JPG
    IMG_1239bo.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0232ao.JPG
    IMG_0232ao.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0341ao.JPG
    IMG_0341ao.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 31
Sounds a pretty busy area, hadn't even heard of the place til recently which is interesting given I live about 4 miles away.

Will have to check it out sometime next week. Billingham Beck Ecology Park is my local patch but there doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much there as there is at Cowpen Bewley and I fancy a long walk out (too brain-dead to be studying).

Sounds a pretty busy area, hadn't even heard of the place til recently which is interesting given I live about 4 miles away.

Will have to check it out sometime next week. Billingham Beck Ecology Park is my local patch but there doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much there as there is at Cowpen Bewley and I fancy a long walk out (too brain-dead to be studying).

Well worth a look around. The birding is a little slow at present but there's always something on the lake at least and if it's a decent day the dragonflies and butterflies usually perform.

Only chance for a very brief visit today. I figured I'd wait until thie afternoon when things may have warmed up a bit - it did but the cloud and rain also came :C

After lunch I went over to the scrapes by the lake. At firest they looked quiet but soon a Southern Hawker appeared and began ovipositing in amongst the reeds. A few metres away a Brown Hawker was ovipositing as well.

A few Common Darter and a few Ruddy Darter then appeared but seemed very lethargic spending more time resting than in flight.

The pond nearst the hide then attracted two Brown Hawker which were joined by a Common Hawker. After battling a while they all left.

Just as I was leaving as the clouds thickened I spotted a resting Brown Hawker. A little too dull for photos really though not too bad using the built-in-flash.

Attachments

• IMG_2221ao.JPG
    IMG_2221ao.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1779ao.JPG
    IMG_1779ao.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2191ao.JPG
    IMG_2191ao.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1783ao.JPG
    IMG_1783ao.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1821ao.JPG
    IMG_1821ao.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 31
Yea I was there today, I probably walked past you in my rush to get back home before it poured down - I was wearing all green.

Everything is quite spaced out, could spend ages walking around there. It's a lot different to Billingham Beck Ecology Park which is far more condensed. Lake is nice. Had the same luck wandering about - just seeing the usual dragonflies, butterflies etc. Will pop by another time no doubt, is a nice break from what I'm usually doing.

Fame at last for the Park - it's made the 'Go Birding' section of the September issue of Birdwatching Magazine.

Mind you I wouldn't bother rushing out to buy it as it's not very good and quite misleading on some of the bird species to be seen.

A revisit around lunchtime today. After a fairly sunny morning the cloud was building up when I arrived. Still some sun every now and again but mostly heavy cloud.

The only dragonfly on the car park ponds was a Common Hawker and that didn't hang around for long. The only birds seen between there and the lake via the grassy path were a couple of pigeons and Magpies plus lots of gulls flying over.

On reaching the scrapes my eyes nearly bugged out at the number of hawkers flying around - 18-20! I was going dizzy trying to see what they were. When the sun went in they settled down somewhat with four landing on a bush by the wooden walkway. They proved to be Migrant Hawker. More were on the bushes by the scrapes themselves. Meanwhile three male Common Hawker were in the air battling amongst themselves and with four Brown Hawker. A female Common Hawker and another Brown Hawker were ovipositing on the largest pond. Lots of Common Darter and a good few Ruddy Darter around again plus quite a few Emerald, Common Blue and Blue Tailed Damselfly. Looked like a Brown Hawker had been caught in a spider web and was in the process of being wrapped up and eaten!

All of a sudden they all disappeared and only a few ever returned.

The lake held some new arrivals notably Gadwall x8. Also a few odd coloured Mallard that I haven't seen before.

Only four Mallard chicks today and only two Little Grebe chicks seen.

A Kingfisher was feeding in the SW corner around lunchtime.

Whilst sat on the benches by the railway a Kestrel flew over and then a Heron.

Heading back towards the car park a Little Egret flew over the pylon cables and continued heading west.

Also reported today - Black Darter on the scrapes though not seen by me.

Attachments

• IMG_3763ao.JPG
    IMG_3763ao.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3783ao.JPG
    IMG_3783ao.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3841ao.JPG
    IMG_3841ao.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3887ao.JPG
    IMG_3887ao.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4273ao.JPG
    IMG_4273ao.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 35
A brief visit this evening on the sunniest part of the day.

According to the warden a Barn Owl was sighted around lunchtime by Seal Sands Road sat on a fence post and then flying into some trees. No sign of it tonight though.

Mirgant Hawker x1, Common Hawker x2 on the scrapes by the lake plus a few Common Darter and Ruddy Darter along the brick path by the hide sat in the sun.

Nothing new on the lake birdwise.

The stubble fields on the east side of the railway lines were just harvested today and held around 100 geese about fifty-fifty Greylag and Canada. Plus several flights of geese passing overhead east to west c.250.

Attachments

• IMG_4643aao.JPG
    IMG_4643aao.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4742ao.JPG
    IMG_4742ao.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4795ao.JPG
    IMG_4795ao.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4827ao.JPG
    IMG_4827ao.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4834ao.JPG
    IMG_4834ao.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 21
My usual Saturday visit this morning. Nothing like as sunny as forecast but still pretty good though the strong cold winds were a little disappointing as they kept most of the dragonflies down.

I headed along the cycleway starting off not seeing very much at all until just after Cloff Bridge though plenty of twittering from the denser bushes and glimpses of Whitethroat and Dunnock every now and again.

The trees around Cloff Bridge held more Whitethroat plus Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff. LTT were calling but not seen. The stubble fields still had circular bales of hay/straw which held five Wheatear perched on the tops plus Linnet, Goldfinch, Trre Sparrow, Crow and Magpie feeding on the ground.

For a change and against my better judgement I followed the path to Greatham today not knowing what to expect though hoping for a repeat of last year with hundreds of geese on the stubble fields. No sign of any geese but then the fields over that way are still full of unharvested wheat as it turned out! Lots of Swallows flying very low over the fields plus a few Swift still and lots of Linnet and Goldfimnch and flocks of Crow.

The first of four Sparrowhawk seen this visit took off from one of the trees in the hedge, a juvenile with a ring on it's leg. A little more to the west a Kestrel the first of five seen was hovering as it hunted.

Little else seen until reaching the wood at Greatham where another Kestrel came speeding over the tops of of the trees.

I turned right then following the beck towards the railway not seeing much other than Swallows and no end of pigeons burst out of the trees along the beck.

Towards the railway another Wheatear was on the ground and nearby a Snipe flew up before landing in some scrub. By the tunnel under the railway a Common Sandpiper and a Redshank were on the muddy beck. It must have been low tide.

Whilst watching them a Kestrel flew over the railway and seemed to find me of interest as it circled five times from around 12m away. I think it would have continued doing so if a flock of Crows hadn't arrived and chased it off.

Plenty of chirping from the trees and bushes as I followed the path alongside the embankemnt but nothing at all seen clearly other than another young Saprrowhawk taking flight as I approached it's tree.

On reaching Claxton Beck I could hear more Redshank calling. One was in view on the mud but there must have been several more out of sight around the bend from the calls.

Quite a few birds in the blackthorn bushes perched on the leeward side facing the beck - Whitethroat, Chaffinch, Goldfinch and a dozen or so Greenfinch which was unusal to see so many together.

An odd sight was a Black-tailed Godwit passing overhead to the west following the beck as I crossed above it - an new species for me here. It may even have landed as once over the railway it dropped down following the line of the beck.

Crossing back into the park over the stile and into the wood behind the hill it was warm and sunny being sheltered from the wind. Lots of butterflies and dragonflies around including Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshaell, Common Blue, Speckled Wood, Wall and Meadow Brown. Lots of Common Darter and a few Migrant Hawker. I was kicking myself afterwards as I didn't hang around for long expecting there to be lots on the scrapes by the lake as well - only there weren't!

Nothing seen heading up the hill and down again. A check of the lake revealed nothing new and the only changes being we seem to have lost one of the Mallard chicks as there were only four today and only one Little Grebe chick seen which was being fed copiously with fish by two adults. It must have been well stuffed the amount it was eating! Two more Kestrels came over the hill and from the railway and a Sparrowhawk took off from the trees by the lake.

Common Blue and the Brown Argus were still present in the same spot and lots of Common Darter along the cinder and grassy paths by the lake.

The scrapes themseleves were very quiet. Just a few Common Darter and just one Migrant Hawker. A Brown Hawker was on the lake in rfont of the hide in it's usual spot.

Heading back to the car park a Common Hawker was on the small circular pond.

Attachments

• IMG_4982ao.JPG
    IMG_4982ao.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5065ao.JPG
    IMG_5065ao.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5124ao.JPG
    IMG_5124ao.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5301ao.JPG
    IMG_5301ao.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5373ao.JPG
    IMG_5373ao.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 37
An unplanned visit. Popped in on my way home after spending a couple of hours around the Estuary. Proved quite fortuitous as two Brown Hawker were perched side by side near the scrapes. As one flew off I looked up to see a Buzzard directly overhead and very low down skimming the top of the hill coming towards me. It circled back and disappeared from view before I could remove the extension tube to take a photo :-C

I walked up the hill to see if it was still in view to find it sat in the trees on the west side. Harassed by Crows it flew off west along Claxton Beck landing once again in the trees by Cloff Bridge. Half an hour later I made my way over that drection to find it still sat in the last willow tree after the bridge being berrated by Crows and Magpies. As a cyclist came past it flew off west carrying on towards Wolviston Roundabout. A new species for the year.

Better was yet to come as scanning through the willows I saw a Spotted Flycatcher flying in and out to feed every few minutes. It looked well settled mostly in the right side of the second Willow after Cloff Bridge. Another new species for the year.

Heading back down the cycleway to the car park several Great Tit, Blue Tit, Greenfinch and Whitethroat were in the hedges. Just before the water treatment gates a flock of LTT c.20 were making their way through the hedge bushes. Two Kestrel and Sparrowhawk flew by as well.

Attachments

• IMG_5783ao.JPG
    IMG_5783ao.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5814ao.JPG
    IMG_5814ao.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5888ao.JPG
    IMG_5888ao.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5886ao.JPG
    IMG_5886ao.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5912ao.JPG
    IMG_5912ao.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 31
A couple of hours spent wandering around this morning. Mostly bright and sunny though a fait bit of cloud around and still pretty windy.

Straight along the cycleway starting off with plenty of LTT, Whitethroat, Dunnock, Chaffinch and Robin flitting about. Goldfinch and Linnet flying over the fields plus around a dozen Swallow.

Not a lot to see at Cloff Bridge when I arrived other than a Spotted Flycatcher in the same tree as my last visit. The hedges further on contained more Whitethroat and quite a few Tree Sparrow but nothing else.

Heading back down to Cloff Bridge two Mistle Thrush flew over as well as quite a few pigeons and Swallows plus a Kestrel.

The Willows by the bridge this time contianed a good few mroe birds - now four Spotted Flycatcher, the one on it's own and another three together which were moving back and forth between those trees and Faith Wood. also present were Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Blue Tit x2 and a Great Tit. Speckled Wood, Wall, Small Copper, Large White and Painted Lady plus Common Darter and two or three hawkers were below the trees. A Robin and a juvenile were by the bridge.

A few Willow Warbler and Whitethroat were in the bushes alongside Claxton Beck as I headed down the path. Just as I reached Cow Bridge Beck I came across several Migrant Hawker and Common Hawker and another lot of butterflies adding Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral and Common Blue.

Very little activity by the scrapes though eventually Common Hawker x3, Emerald Damselfly and several Common Darter. A Brown Hawker was over the lake in front of the hide. Common Blue, Small Copper, Painted Lady and Red Admiral were there as well.

Quite a sight on the lake were Canada Goose x35 and Mallard c.150 - I stopped counting at 100 ;) Also present were Shoveler c.8. The Gadwall were still present along the other other usuals.

Nothing much at all seen between the lake heading back to the car park.

Attachments

• IMG_6115bo.jpg
    IMG_6115bo.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6229ao.jpg
    IMG_6229ao.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6300ao.jpg
    IMG_6300ao.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6417ao.jpg
    IMG_6417ao.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6353ao.jpg
    IMG_6353ao.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 33
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back