• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it a Thrush? (1 Viewer)

Swiftley

Hello!

I've just got 'into' bird watching and starting to develop a passion.
I thought you could help, I have seen this bird twice recently and I don't know what it is; it's about hte size of a Starling, it looks like a Mistle Thrush, but with a dark brown back, slighty lighter brown stomach, with the kinda golden specles on it..

I know thats really un-specific, but I have no clue what to look out for..

Thanks,
SW

Swiftley said:
Hello!

I've just got 'into' bird watching and starting to develop a passion.
I thought you could help, I have seen this bird twice recently and I don't know what it is; it's about hte size of a Starling, it looks like a Mistle Thrush, but with a dark brown back, slighty lighter brown stomach, with the kinda golden specles on it..

I know thats really un-specific, but I have no clue what to look out for..

Thanks,
SW
How about Song Thrush? Or possibly Juvenile Blackbird?

Hi Swiftley, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here. You've certainly come to the right site if you've taken up birding.
It does sound like Song Thrush to me, do you have a field guide to check it out?
regards,
Andy

Yeah, I have agree, swiftley, that it's a Song Thrush. Luckily I have a British field guide to help british members out with. The size is consistent with your bird (Starling is 8.5 inches, Song Thrush is 9 inches). My guide also mentions the "buff flecks" you mentioned. Very common in your area, according to my book.

PS. Welcome to BirdForum!

Thanks for the replies, and welcomes.

I'm pretty sure it's a Juvenile Black bird!

Thank you very much.

I have a bird guide, but it does not contain the Juvenille Blackbird. Maybe it's time for a new bird guide...?

Swiftley said:
Maybe it's time for a new bird guide...?
I guess so! ;) I'd recommend either the "Pocket Guide to the Birds of Britain and North-west Europe" by Kightley, Madge and Nurney, or, if your passion is strong enough to take the ultimate plunge, the "Collins Bird Guide" by Mullarney, Svensson, Zetterström and Grant (than which I guarantee you'll not find a better!)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back