• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (31 Viewers)

Jarad has just phoned with a male ruff on Flashes and c300 Lapwing. Let autumn commence.:t:

so where have they been hanging out till now? And how do they know there is water on the flashes without flying over and finding out, which they havnt been doing or someone would have noticed 300Lapwing just passing over.
How do they know?

so where have they been hanging out till now? And how do they know there is water on the flashes without flying over and finding out, which they havnt been doing or someone would have noticed 300Lapwing just passing over.
How do they know?
Paul
This time of year birds are constantly on the move, either on migration or just moving around the region looking for ideal feeding and roosting areas. With the dramatic change in weather over the last few days some previously ideal areas would have been flooded out. In Upton's case, ideal conditions that were always good for Lapwing, have now been reinstated. My theory is, birds attract birds, so gregarious species such as lapwing will join their congeners, other species associated with similar habitat will also latch on to the flock. Other species seen with lapwing flocks, as well as ruff, are golden plover, black tailed godwit, dotteral and sociable plover. (in my dreams with the last two).
B :)John

Just read on a few sites that Bitterns have returned to a few traditional sites in the north west and in the Lee Valley in the last couple of days..So keep your eyes peeled;)

Saturday 5th November

Can't believe there are no posts yet for today :eek!: , if only to comment on the fact that Upton is now officially a wetland reserve again ;)

I managed to crawl down to the Flashes at about 8.45, where Gert was the only other birder in attendance. He advised that the Ruff was (had) been present, but it wasn't amongst the Lapwing as I scanned. He also advised that two Green Sandpipers and 21 Curlew had been present earlier. After a five minute wait the Ruff flew in with a couple of Lapwings from the direction of the Moors Pool. However that appeared to be it, apart from 26 Teal and c.240 Lapwing, plus around six Meadow Pipits. The sewage meadow was also mowed (or topped) today, which didn't appear to be disturbing the birds once access through the gate from the sewage works had been achieved (a hatchet was deemed necessary to accomplish this |8.|).

I headed back to the car via the Education Reserve, which held very little other than a couple of Goldcrests, and a male Blackcap with a tit-flock behind the garage. There were also at least four, possibly six, Bullfinches seen.

Over on the Moors Pool I walked around the North Moors trail, but saw vitually nothing apart from another two Bullfinches. Moving on to the west hide there was little on the feeding station, possibly due to the male Sparrowhawk that paid a couple of visits whilst I was there. On the pool there were ten Mute Swans (where have they all come from - only one was a juv), a couple of Wigeon, 40 Shoveler, 16 Tufted Duck, 8 Pochard and a few Teal. Great Crested Grebes had declined to three and I only saw one Little Grebe. There were around 140 Lapwings, possibly in addition to those at the Flashes, but possibly not. A single Snipe flew over and a Kingfisher flew into the southern bay. There were also another three Bullfinches along the west path, so possibly 11 seen this morning ... or maybe just four that get around a bit ;)

All in all a pleasant three and a bit hours, with no more seen than I would expect, apart from the Ruff. Think we need a bit of cold weather to shift something our way.

Mike

Last edited:
Nice summary - still need Ruff for the year so hopefully it will still be there tomorrow. Ten is the best count of Mute Swans for quite some time.

A perfect work party day, with more done than we ever imagined thanks to all the folks that turned up.. and a Little Egret = my 131 for the year!
Will let John give summary if he's got the energy. In the meantime a few pics per the Flickr link below as I CBA to fiddle with the size to attach em!
Cheers
Gert

A perfect work party day, with more done than we ever imagined thanks to all the folks that turned up.. and a Little Egret = my 131 for the year!
Will let John give summary if he's got the energy. In the meantime a few pics per the Flickr link below as I CBA to fiddle with the size to attach em!
Cheers
Gert

Great pics Gert , just gonna have a shower and do something on here after,
suffice to say, Thanks to everyone Today, this was by far the most well attended work party ever. Phil will probably add a bit in the meantime.

Great pics Gert , just gonna have a shower and do something on here after,
suffice to say, Thanks to everyone Today, this was by far the most well attended work party ever. Phil will probably add a bit in the meantime.

Many many thanks to the 27(yes, not a mis-type that was 27!!) who turned up today's work party. With such numbers we were able to get a massive amount done and were therefore able to knock off by 2:45pm.

Work achieved included:
- Further extensive work in digging channels, dredging the bays and creating new / stablising existing islands.
- Works to protect the shoreline left of the hide which was starting to develop an unwanted "cliff" feature
- Removal of encroaching reeds to the left of the hide
- Cutting back of the blackthorn and bramble around the hide
- Dismantling the fencing and guide wires around the hide to assist the contractors commencing the demolition tomorrow
- Salvaging useful timber, metalwork and brick around the hide for use in future projects
- Clearing the access for the contractors onto site
- Removal of signs / boards etc from within the hide

A great craic as usual, bolstered by Gert's sloe gin and a selection of cakes (Dave's date and wulnut was my fav).

The next work party is due on Sunday 4th December. The programme of work will be heavily dependant on the water level at the Flashes and how the new hide is installed and fits in with the existing screening and vegetation. However we look on course to be able to have at least two work parties devoted to scrub management and fox fence improvements before the usual concentration on preparing the islands and grassland in the March event.

There were also a few decent birds today - a fly-over Little Egret (later seen at the Moors), the Ruff again early morning at the Flashes, a fly-over plover (most likely Golden), Grey Wagtail and 2 Wigeon at the Moors.

Yes a great Day...(missed out on most of the cake , managed to get a bit of Simon's (hairy birder) though.)

More details on the habitat creation
The 'delta channels' were dug out (originally started last month), Then the 'keyhole' channel was de-silted, the spoil was piled up around the 'grassy knoll' where it will hopefully grass over and halt the erosion in this area.
After this the 'hide channel' was extended again the spoil used to shore up the eroding banks.
In the 'central area' the drainage ditches were de-silted and the spoil used to create small muddy islands. Other small pools next to the grassy knoll, were de-silted.

Attachments

• 1. the action.jpg
    1. the action.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.hide action.jpg
    2.hide action.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 3.hade channel action.jpg
    3.hade channel action.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 79
  • 4.grassy knoll afta work.jpg
    4.grassy knoll afta work.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 75
Yes a great Day...(missed out on most of the cake , managed to get a bit of Simon's (hairy birder) though.)

More details on the habitat creation
The 'delta channels' were dug out (originally started last month), Then the 'keyhole' channel was de-silted, the spoil was piled up around the 'grassy knoll' where it will hopefully grass over and halt the erosion in this area.
After this the 'hide channel' was extended again the spoil used to shore up the eroding banks.
In the 'central area' the drainage ditches were de-silted and the spoil used to create small muddy islands. Other small pools next to the grassy knoll, were de-silted.

an excellent morning - we shall be back for the next one all being well - great to see so many people there :)

To add to Phil's list, a flyover Yellowhammer this afternoon continues the recent good run for this species. Two Peregrines on the mast and 20 Curlews roosted this evening. I heard the overflying Golden Plover this morning but didn't see it so don't think I can count it on my year list.

Today's work
pic 1 shows the keyhole channel before today's work
pic 2 shows after the work with the spoil piled up to form a bank around what is called the 'grassy knoll'
pic 3. The delta channels before today's work (photo taken on 1st Nov)
pic 4. The delta after today's work

Also at the Flashes today were several meadow pipit and at least 4 snipe and c200 Lapwing and 30 teal.

At the Moors tonight at least 4 water rail (2 east and 2 west side calling)
4 Little grebe, 9 pochard (+ 6 sailing pool), and a 1st winter gull this morning.
2 wigeon, 1 gadwall and 13 shoveler.

Attachments

• 5keyhole chanel b4 work.jpg
    5keyhole chanel b4 work.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 6 keyhole after.jpg
    6 keyhole after.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 7 Delta before 6th Nov work taken on 1st Nov).jpg
    7 Delta before 6th Nov work taken on 1st Nov).jpg
    200 KB · Views: 67