• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 10x42 HGL or Swaro 10x42 SLC?? (1 Viewer)

harley1450

After using my wifes 8x36 HGL's (and finding them to be excellent) I'm seriously considering some 10x42 HGL's for myself. In the back of my mind though I'm thinking "lots of people buy Swaro's for a reason - and for a similar price (£750 ish?) -the SLC's might be worth a look."

I know it's subjective to a point - but what do the people in the know think??

Thanks for any input.

Met.

For me as a glasses wearer, the HGL is a much better choice since it has exceptionally good eye relief for a 10x. The close focus of the HGL is also very good. If I were going w/10x and the SLC line, I'd get the 10x50 since it has superb optics and eye-relief.

--AP

I know it's of no help to you but British bin prices at the moment are a dream for those of us in the Euro zone.
The 10x42 Swaro SLC has an RRP of €1550, which translates to about 1400GBP, so I cant see your prices staying where they are for long. How's that for an argument to convince your better half? ;-)
BTW you might also like to consider Meopta Meostars (the Czech crown has also fallen against the Euro so their prices may remain stable). I cannot speak for the 10x42s but my "trouble and strife" has 7x42s and they are really on a par with my own 7x42 SLCs. I have also tried 10x50 Meostars and was very impressed. I believe FrankD reviewed them on this forum.

John

Thanks for the reply John. What I think I'll do is gather all the info I can off people in the know such as yourselves - and shortlist them to try out back to back at the Birdshow at Rutland water in August. Luckily this is just before we go on Hol (recession permitting!!) I've pinned the Mrs down to a definite buy in the summer with the understanding that I use her Nikons till then - so all angles covered then!

Trouble is when you are in the safe zone of surfing that you find yourself saying "well those ones are only £50 more so I could go for them" etc etc.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back