• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mealy redpoll and Lesser redpoll? - Titchwell, UK (1 Viewer)

I think you have labelled the redpolls correctly although with the third bird is impossible to tell from the photo.

Last edited:
pic 4 does look like mealy particularly on base colour, would have liked to see different angle to get feel for the jizz and bulk of the bird though.

Paul
That's a nice little gallery you have there. I agree with the Meally (on colouring anyway). Your Brent Geese are correctly labelled too BTW.
However, #27 LRP. I'm not sure; I'm struggling to see the prominent yellow eye ring that one would expect to see. Might they be Ringed Plovers?

Paul
That's a nice little gallery you have there. I agree with the Meally (on colouring anyway). Your Brent Geese are correctly labelled too BTW.
However, #27 LRP. I'm not sure; I'm struggling to see the prominent yellow eye ring that one would expect to see. Might they be Ringed Plovers?

Look fine to me.

Sam

21 is a skylark, 22 are turnstones and 25 are ruff as Davids says.

I agree with Sy V that they are ringed plovers in 27, they have a very clear white supercilium.

Redpolls look ok to me, although can't be 100% sure re lighting conditions etc.

9 looks more like Dunlin, 21 Skylark, 22 Turnstone, 25 Ruff, 28 Bar-Tailed Godwit, and 80 Curlew.

27 I think are standard Ringed - orbital is indistinct, the mask is rounded and the tertials seem short not covering primaries.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back