• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scolopacidae in Italy in search of ID: thank you! (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
a few days ago I got caught by surprise by this bird, which I got only a quick glimpse of .. I just managed to turn and snap a burst of shots through the thick vegetation (sorry for the awful picture).
I guess it's a member of the Scolopacidae family, but .. which one? Many details urge me to link it to different species, and I cannot come to a conclusion ...

Thank you for your help
Max

Attachments

• Scolopacidae01.jpg
    Scolopacidae01.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 214
Hello everybody,
a few days ago I got caught by surprise by this bird, which I got only a quick glimpse of .. I just managed to turn and snap a burst of shots through the thick vegetation (sorry for the awful picture).
I guess it's a member of the Scolopacidae family, but .. which one? Many details urge me to link it to different species, and I cannot come to a conclusion ...

Thank you for your help
Max

Looks very much like Great Snipe.

Cheers,
Bob.

I would say a Common Snipe, due to the lack of white on the outer tail eliminating Great Snipe, and length of bill eliminating Jack Snipe.

Great Snipe is also a "jizz" bird. It'll flush as close as a Jack Snipe and is very large, round and sluggish. It also calls a low grunting call, nothing like any Snipe in this area.

These points will help get you get on a poss Great long before plumage features.

Great Snipe is also a "jizz" bird. It'll flush as close as a Jack Snipe and is very large, round and sluggish. It also calls a low grunting call, nothing like any Snipe in this area.

These points will help get you get on a poss Great long before plumage features.

Thank you all, I'll remember that in the future ;)
Max

The white trailing edge on the inner wing is also a good feature for Common Snipe and which isn't found on Great or Jack Snipe.

Well, actually all these three species have white or whitish trailing edges to the inner wings, Common Snipes just usually have very broad ones (and Great Snipes very thin ones). Also Jack Snipes can have quite wide white trailing edges:

http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/index.php?pic_id=linto1131093852&lang=fin
http://www.tarsiger.com/images/linto/Lymmin051010TkuKI6W1017.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back