• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Sparrow Hawks fly that high? (very bad photo) Ireland (1 Viewer)

paynie

This flew over the house today, circling with swallows attacking it. It was circling very high indeed, the poor picture I got was on maximum zoom (x10) and I have then digitally enlarged it by 200% so as you can see it was flying very high. From what I could gather it was about the size of a crow/jackdoor but heavier. That's all I got sorry, I assume it must be a sparrow hawk but I was unaware that they fly/circle so high??????

Thanks in advance Paynie :)

appoligies moderators I put this in the wrong forum, if somebody could move it to identification I'd be much obliged.

Attachments

• bird 1.JPG
    bird 1.JPG
    2.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I assume it must be a sparrow hawk but I was unaware that they fly/circle so high??????

Thanks in advance Paynie :)

I've seen them round here (Bray) circling so high that I can't see them at all with my glasses off, and even with glasses on, I can only assume they're sprawks as they circle. It requires bins to identify them positively. So yes, sometimes in calm weather they circle so high that they are merely pin-points in the sky!:t:

Thanks for the replies guys, yes, even with my binoculars it eventually went outsight from simply getting higher and higher so I'll chalk this one up as a sparrow hawk :)

Tail looks long enough. They certainly do go very high, most often on thermals. In fact almost every Accipter I've seen will appear low down in the sky and end up as a speck in the sky without even flapping once.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back