• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hen Harrier (1 Viewer)

palval147

I have just seen a female Hen Harrier over my house. A friend said she'd seen a pair on the moor, not far from my house & they appeared to be breeding. I thought I'd seen the female a few days ago, but couldn't positively identify her. I am now sure that is what she is & my friend right to say she'd seen the pair, not sure about them breeding though.:cool:

Last edited:
Too high up for my point & shoot camera, Kits. It would be spot the bird. I got a good look at her, yes, she was a female, with my bins though.

Fabulous! :t: Now THAT is a garden tick :king:

I had my very first hen harrier, a female also, on January 4th this year. I'd spent the day out birding and after scouring Budle Bay I had just pulled away from the parking area onto the road when I caught sight of a distant 'raptor' with a white rump. HARRIER!!!!!!! :eek!: Slammed the brakes on, pulled back over into the parking spot, jumped into the passenger seat AND wound the window down for a better look - all in the space of about five seconds!!! :-O Quickly found 'my' bird and oh what a beauty she was :t: I was 99% sure she was a female hen harrier but quickly did a sketch (or, more accurately, a scribble) and watched her for the next few minutes as she lazily flew over the Bay and put a few waders up. Once she had disappeared out of sight I checked it up in my Collins guide which was on the back seat and was over the moon to have my very first HH confirmed :t:

You can't really mistake that white rump, base of tail, that goes right round the birds nether end, can you, Gill.:t:

I know! o:) I've read about hen harriers turning up regular along our coast in the winter months and it was one bird I'd always wanted to see. Budle Bay had the tide well in that day and there wasn't much about so this stunning female was the last thing I expected to see :king:

Wow now that would be a sight to see, Val :-O

You are very lucky to have seen the bird, and even if you did not get a photo, you will remember the experience for a long time yet. o:)o:)

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back