• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird bath observation (1 Viewer)

Jampots

We have a fairly large concrete bird bath in our garden which attracts starlings blackbirds and sparrows regularly. A lot of thorough washing and splashing goes on and we frequently need to rinse out the bath to get rid of scum and oil which I presume is what the birds clean out of their feathers. However, when we went to live in the US for three years we noticed a difference in bird habits. Having had our bird bath (and bird table too) trans-atlantically shipped to our new home, we found that it was only used for drinking - not bathing. Despite the large number of birds that visited our yard, and the absence of any very nearby pool or stream, I never saw any bird enter the bath - just perch on the edge and drink. This lack of bathing was also confirmed by the fact that the water remained clean and scum-free, although in hot weather it needed refilling frequently. The local raccoon also had a knack for removing the bowl top from the concrete pedestal at regular intervals. While serching the forum archives I noticed that Snowyowl in Canada also only had drinking not bathing birds. Is this because New World birds prefer showers to baths????

Jampots said:
Having had our bird bath (and bird table too) trans-atlantically shipped to our new home, we found that it was only used for drinking - not bathing.

Have no idea why American birds are 'fussier' than UK birds ...but have to say I'm impressed by your dedication in shipping out a large concrete bird bath :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back