• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare Bird Alert's new bird sightings program - Its amazing and its FREE! (1 Viewer)

breggie

Has anybody else seen Rare Bird Alert's new online sightings program?
It uses Google Earth (free to download from Google) to display a real time map of the UK with all birdnews they transmit to their pagers, mobiles phones and website. If there are pictures of the bird it will display those also.
It updates automatically every 10 minutes which is great as I just leave it on at work and in never need to refresh the screen, it even zooms to the most recent update.

desgreene said:
Yes, I was wondering which interpretation of the word "free" breggie was using.

It appears to be free if you get their web service, which is 'free' to RBA pager subscribers.

mw_aurora said:
It appears to be free if you get their web service, which is 'free' to RBA pager subscribers.

Yeah hi guys
If you register to the RBA site - NOT the Web News Service or SMS Service you become a registered user. If at the same time you register for a 7 day free trial of the Web Service this will as it says on tin run out in 7 days but access to NewsMap conitunes - well that is what has happened to my account anyway. Although reading further it does look like sometime in the future it will become part of a subscription service but for the moment at least IT IS FREE but I take your points.

Have any of you registered and tried it yet?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back