• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuba, February 2017 - Kingbird, Pewee, Blackbird/Cowbird & Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

Warixenjalka

Birdwitcher
Finland
These photos are taken at La Terraza, western Cuba.

In 1st and 2nd I was thinking Loggerhead Kingbird, but can it be Gray Kb?

3rd: My thought is Cuban (Crescend-eyed) Pewee, but could it be some other Pewee?

4th and 5th: Cuban Blackbird or Shiny Cowbird? How you can easiest to separate them if you can't compare the size?

Attachments

• IMG_7513a.jpg
    IMG_7513a.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7554a.jpg
    IMG_7554a.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7608a.jpg
    IMG_7608a.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7713a.jpg
    IMG_7713a.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7796a.jpg
    IMG_7796a.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 52
I think bill in the last two images fit Shiny Cowbird better in size. Do make comparisons with photos online.

Regarding first two images, bill size reminds me more of Eastern Kingbird which I believe would be possible as a winter guest?

#3 is the right shape for a pewee, but image is very dark.

Niels

Thanks Niels.

1st photo Kingbirds tail looks similar to my book - Birds of the West Indies - the Cuban race of Loggerhead. How much the tail underside coloration has a variation on Kingbirds? Can I trust my book? It shows that Gray Kb has dark gray tailfeathers all the way to the tip and on Eastern only the outer feathers are dark/black. Loggerhead has white(ish) tip on tail.

1-2 Loggerhead Kingbird. Eastern Kingbird has much smaller bill, a distinct white tail tip, and is super rare anywhere in the Caribbean in winter.
3 Looks good for Cuban Pewee
4-5 Shiny Cowbird
Andy

The base of the kingbird's tail is white, which rules out Eastern. The entire outer edges of the outer tail feathers are white, which is also not an Eastern character, and the bill is too long for Eastern. I'm calling it a Loggerhead.

eta: cross-posted with Kratter.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back