• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare Birds of North America (1 Viewer)

I am enjoying this book, although the superb illustrations could be slightly smaller and razor-sharp.

I wonder, if there is any direct support for different theories of vagrancy described by the Authors, or it is just a very detailed and informed guess?

I just got my copy. I was not aware it would be that heavy: it probably weighs double what sibley v 1 does.

Niels

I just got my copy. I was not aware it would be that heavy: it probably weighs double what sibley v 1 does.
Niels, you'd need to be an extremely optimistic birder to consider carrying it as a field guide. ;)

...except, perhaps, on Attu.

Last edited:
The last line says it all: a “must-have”

Niels

I had been reluctant to get this book. My equivalent copy for Europe has been sitting on the bookshelf for decades with very little to almost no use. While I liked the artwork, I find that book difficult to use for the variable postures of the birds. That makes comparisons so much more cumbersome.

But all the rave reviews have now convinced me to get it just for the artwork. It will be interesting to personally compare the "Lewington art" in the two books.

It will also be interesting to see how well I can adapt to the new FG sequence. As many here may recall, I'm all for an essentially fixed sequence. ;)

But all the rave reviews have now convinced me to get it just for the artwork. It will be interesting to personally compare the "Lewington art" in the two books.
I value the book primarily as a comprehensive record, review and intelligent discussion of avian vagrancy to North America. Press reviews have understandably highlighted Ian Lewington's extremely impressive artwork. But in the context of this book, I'd say that most of the artwork is essentially eye candy – generally illustrating taxa that either don't present significant ID problems in a North American context, or are already well covered in existing Palaearctic guides. But I definitely look forward to the full North American field guide, where Ian's interpretation of Empidonax, Myiarchus etc will be very welcome.

It will also be interesting to see how well I can adapt to the new FG sequence. As many here may recall, I'm all for an essentially fixed sequence. ;)

You may need to book counselling in advance, then - draft IOC5.1 resequences 4 (3 existing and one new) families of seabirds, and it will be interesting to see how much of the resequencing between and within families in H&M4 that IOC will adopt...:eek!:
MJB
PS Schöne Weihnachten und ein glückliches neues Jahr!:king:

...... artwork is essentially eye candy – ...........

My European "Rare Birds" suffers from too much yellow in the browns, a reason for considerable irritation and another one why I never warmed up to that book. I'm sure the colors were correct in the originals, so no blame on the artist.

You may need to book counselling in advance, then - ........of the resequencing ........MJB
PS Schöne Weihnachten und ein glückliches neues Jahr!:king:

The good thing about fixed sequences would come from no longer requiring such counselling. ;)

And Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too!:t:

Questionable sequence in places

I received my copy today, and I must say it's way better than the similar book for Europe that came out a long time ago. So much more info, including the origins of the rarities. I'm really impressed!

The one thing that is disappointing is the way they tried to make use of their sequencing philosophy. I have always said I'm all for a fixed sequence. But mixing in origins on top of that results in a pretty stupid mix. Owls are mixed in freely with hawks and other raptors. And swifts and swallows show up in a free mix in at least two separate blocks. Same with the pigeon/dove group and the cuckoos. It almost seems like they wanted to make sure nobody would advocate fixed sequences in the future. If this were what Howell et al are really advocating, it would definitely work along MJB's post "You may need to book counselling in advance...". But of course the unpalatable mess is being created by trying to do too much. :-C
This is definitely not the book to assess the practicability of fixed sequences.

Last edited:
I like to browse illustrations very much.

However descriptions of identification characters are rather brief, and less detailed than top identification books. In many cases the text only refers to other books or papers for details. This is the case of eg. frigatebirds, Eurasian/Oriental Cuckoo, Yellow-legged Gull, stints, flycatchers, warblers etc.

Treatise about routes which vagrants take to reach North America is interesting, but one must understand that it is pure speculation. There are practically no hard data about tyhat phenomenon. Here actually much could be learned from including patterns of occurence of less scarce migrants.

QUICK-FIND INDEX again

You may need to book counselling.............

I tried to help myself with another one of my Quick-Find Indices. It is attached in case anyone wants to use it.

Like always, it's a rather personal compilation. So it comes as a Word file for easy individual adaptations.

If there are two numbers, the first number refers to the "old world" origin, the second one to the "new world" section.

Attachments

• RARE BIRDS OF NORTH AMERICA QUICK-FIND-INDEX larger.docx
    14.4 KB · Views: 50
Original Ian Lewington plates from the book now for sale

I see that all of the plates from Rare Birds of North America
are now available for sale, direct from Ian through his web site.
http://www.ian-lewington.co.uk
Prices are not unreasonable either, given the spectacular quality of the work.

Advance warning: Be prepared to want to spend more than you perhaps can afford!..

:-O

Aidan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back