• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Light pollution: robins' song and behaviour (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
Research from Southampton University shows that the song and behaviour of robins are being affected by light and noise pollution. The research showed how robins are affected by night-time lighting and road noise in a city park.

Article here.

Research from Southampton University shows that the song and behaviour of robins are being affected by light and noise pollution. The research showed how robins are affected by night-time lighting and road noise in a city park.

Article here.

I wonder if they controlled for the number of hours Robins sang wrt extent of light pollution? I did a small survey (by questionnaire) way back in the 1970s on Robins singing on RAF stations. Where light pollution was high (domestic car parks), the Robins would sing all night and during the day, but at reduced volume. Where light pollution was low, they sang from just before dawn until dusk (with a gap usually in the early afternoon).

My empirical conclusion was that the 24-hour Robins were knackered and didn't produce the volume; besides, their neighbours tended to respond over the same period, and so perhaps all territory boundaries as a result were sharply defined by the participants, thus reducing the need anyway to sing loudly...
MJB

Could this be related to some research I've seen/read quoted more than once about how songbirds that used to sing during the day now sing at night because of noise pollution?

Noise pollution is bad, but I would expect that street lights can be positive, because they extend the time available to feed. Especially for the Robin which is accustomed to feed in the dim undergrowth and in short winter days. I wonder if any data were collected about the actual body condition of these Robins?

Lighted pathways might, however, have bigger human disturbance.

Last night at 1 a.m. i was walking back from the pub down a public footpath, part of which was lit by orange street lights. A Robin was feeding under one of the lights, dropping down from the hedge to the ground to pick up food items. It was delightfully tame. I've watched them singing at night many times, but not seen one feeding before until now.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back