• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Purchasing my first pair of Binoculars... OLYMPUS? (1 Viewer)

go to a shop that has binoculars and see which ones look/feel better for your needs

-pick them up and see how they feel
-look across the room, or outside if you can, and see what you can see
-then compare your options to your budget

a binocular in the hand is worth more than one on the internet

edj

Hi Emma. Yes I have had a pair and they are a very good pair of Binoculars for the price with good owner reviews. Stick with porro bins for a lot better view at the lower price end. I still use a Kowa 6x30 y30 Binocular a brilliant little bino with twist up eyecups that stay in place and have a great sharp view but cost a bit more money about £110 on the Bay. Regards Chris

Emma,
You might also consider Opticron 'Adventurer' 8x40, about fifty quid. Opticron are a UK-based company, Luton I think, and they have a first-class aftersales service. Their 'Savanna' model at 99 quid is the same binocular as the Yosemite that Norm recommends. If you're heading to Belfast anytime I'm pretty sure Black and Lizar's carry them.

It does look as though those 8 or 6 or 6.5x30 models are likely to be a bit over budget; certainly worth considering though. The Helios Aquila is probably the cheapest if shop around but not sure the QC would be up to the levels of Opticron or Kowa. Also there seem to be a few Vortex Raptors knocking about at good prices.
Again over budget, the full-size waterproof porro Bushnell Legacy 8x42 (Amazon) is probably a decent option.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back