• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tern ID - southeast texas (1 Viewer)

howell7079

I saw this tern flying around today at the Texas City dike. It's dark grey, I am guessing an immature bird but no idea which one. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 2691233502_d7456accdb.jpg
    2691233502_d7456accdb.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 2691233412_a33845a24d.jpg
    2691233412_a33845a24d.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 2690422029_81622b575f.jpg
    2690422029_81622b575f.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 89
According to the books I have the black tern doesn't come this far south. Is it rare for Texas or are the books not that accurate?

Thanks
Lyndon

According to the books I have the black tern doesn't come this far south. Is it rare for Texas or are the books not that accurate?

Thanks
Lyndon

Good for this time of year, but no biggie - perhaps started south a little early. They should be passing through during migration.

Black Terns can start their southbound migration in July. They are heading south to spend the winter in South America.

Thanks
Lyndon

Some guides, such as the National Geographic guide, do not use color shading to indicate where a bird might be found in migration. (The National Geographic guide shows permanent range, breeding range, and winter range only). Sometimes, the National Geographic guide will use arrows to show migration paths or dashed lines to indicate the border of the migration range, but in certain cases, as in the case of Black Tern, it gives no indication at all.

However, the Sibley guides, for one, do use color shading to indicate presence during migration. I think this is definitely preferable.

Best,
Jim

black terns

Black terns are now here on the Texas coast, and I have a photo to prove it. I took this last weekend. As you can see there is quite a bit of color variation.

Attachments

• blackTerns.jpg
    blackTerns.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 75
Black Terns are in Texas (See Kelly Bryan et al "A Checklist of Texas Birds" 7th edition and Shackelford and Lockwood "Birds of Texas Occurence and Seasonal Movements" (both booklets are Texas Parks and Wildlife Publications and can be found at www.tpwd.state.tx.us)). Interestingly, Arvin (Birds of the South Texas Brushlands) shows them as common late April to early June and late August to early November. He shows them as uncommon early June to late August and not occurring November to April. I could not find a cheklist for the Upper Texas Coast (south east Texas) so can not point to occurrence data there, but the seasonal movements book shows them as migrant only.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back