• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

unknown fungi, Panjin, Liaoning, China (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
This caught my eye while birding this afternoon to the point where I decided to go home and fetch the camera and the 18-85mm lens, which is better for close-ups. Since Trichia has expressed interest in seeing more fungi from China, here it is. To be followed with several more different fungi I found once I was looking for them.

These two were the only two I have seen. Growing on the south-west side of a willow tree at about head height.

Attachments

• Fungi1.jpg
    Fungi1.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Fungi1 (1).jpg
    Fungi1 (1).jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Fungi1 (2).jpg
    Fungi1 (2).jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Fungi1 (3).jpg
    Fungi1 (3).jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Fungi1 (4).jpg
    Fungi1 (4).jpg
    649 KB · Views: 42
Hi all,

This is very pretty, isn't it?

I guess it's Pholiota limonella, or at least a closely related species....

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks, Trichia. I think you are right, at least about the Genus. With further research I see that mycology is a field of study with far more controversy about identification than birding. Even Micheal Kuo at mushroomexpert.com says about this Genus,

"For now, spore measurements appear to separate Pholiota limonella. If the mushroom you collected has larger, aurivella-sized spores, however, I suggest calling it Steve--because, otherwise, you will soon find yourself in Pholiota Hell, where mycology gets very ugly."

Deciding I like being just the size I am, I think I'll just be happy with what I know and if I see a caterpillar sitting on one of these, I'll be sure to get a picture.

For anyone interested, I just remembered today that the city park immediately adjacent to our condo has several decorative concrete mushrooms scattered about, which our little terrier is terrified of, giving them a wide berth and not taking her eyes off of them and growling while passing. One of them might indicate that this is not such an unusual species locally since it is a pretty close match, though the spores are white instead of brown.

Also, they are still growing on the willow which given that scavengers regularly go through the parks sweeping up anything edible/medicinal, probably means it actually is not either or at least is not recognized by the locals.

Attachments

• Concrete Mushroom.jpg
    Concrete Mushroom.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back