• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arava 09 (1 Viewer)

Dominic

Hi,
I'm going to be in Eilat-Arava area for a few days in early April. Apart from all the migratory goodies I really want to catch up with Arabian warbler. I had one all the way up at Neve Zohar (extreme North for AW) a couple of years back but would really like to see one again. Any ideas anyone? I'll bring back a photo if possible

cheers,

Dominic

Hi Delia,

Yotvata, km 50 - thanks. Will make sure to stop off for the circular field and some of that mocha too!

cheers,

D

um.... could do with some pictures of the scenery too:-O

D

No problem. Compared to a decent pic of an AW I think the scenery will be easy!

:)

LOL no doubt:-O

If you could upload them either to this thread or the Pictures Wanted thread, I'll be able to put them into the article.

Alternatively, you could put them in the Galllery, but let me know you've done so.

I've just discovered there's only one picture of the AW in the Gallery, apparently, so any you can get would be appreciated.

D

hey! Good luck Dominic. I'm in Israel - have been here for 2 month snow and hope to stay a further 4. I doubt I'll find them before you because I'm not particulalrly looking for specialities but teh migration is hotting up..

Lucky you, jimmyjames, lucky you! How was the kittlitz's plover? :)

Maybe see you on the road? We're on for a week in Eilat and the south and then either another week in the south or head north. Depends on where the birds are . . .

I ain't seen one! I've not been looking for specialities as of yet... no car and zero contacts in israel. I have no idea if there even is a birding community in Israel. Random bird sightings have been interesting so far though. I'm hoping for more and more!

Arabian warblers are not easy to find and are in decline in the Arava.

This was taken last week.

Regards
robin

Attachments

• ArabianWarbler1b_240309.jpg
    ArabianWarbler1b_240309.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 112
Hope it's not too late -

Arabian Warbler breed (or did, a couple of years ago) at Shezaf NR. Can't give directions I'm afraid, but we went there on way from Eilat to Neot Hakakar and it was about half way. The old (ruined) Turkish Police Station site (somewhere near KM40) was traditionally a good spot for them, but not sure if it still is.

Enjoy!

Jimmyjames - recent news at http://www.israbirding.com/ - well worth checking out. Look in "forum" tab especially.

Both Shezaf and the ruins of the police station (about 1km south of the Yotvata gas station, at the main road) still hold Arabian Warbler.

Glad you saw AW, Dominic, and a few other "goodies" on your trip report - Syrian Serin, Semi-c Fly, Bridled Tern and Hoopoe Lark would all have been new for me, and I've yet to cover the north, so plenty of lifers there as well! Always more satisfying to do off your own bat as well - guides can be useful, but in a country like Israel it's more fun to do your own thing.

Hi Mark,

Totally agree re doing one's own thing in Israel, It's like having all the UK hot spots compressed into one small area which you share with about five other people.

Yes, the north is well worth it - if only we'd more time . . . .

cheers,

Dominic

Hi All,
I was in Israel at the end of March (and last September for a month), in 3 visits to Shizaf I've never failed with Arabian Warbler. Yotvata is a different story though - they do still occur around the area of the old police station (apparantly 1 pair) but are very difficult.
The Arava valley, Beit Shean valley, Dead Sea and Negev certainly came up trumps for us too. I've attached a few pics.

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Hume's Owl.jpg
    Hume's Owl.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 92
  • Blackstart.jpg
    Blackstart.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Sinai Rosefinch.jpg
    Sinai Rosefinch.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Vinous-breasted Starling.jpg
    Vinous-breasted Starling.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Desert Lark.jpg
    Desert Lark.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 88
Cheers Dominic.
The rosefinch was at Wadi Mishmar, about 10 km south of Ein Gedi, by the Dead Sea. We only had a female at Amram's Pillars.

Cheers
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back