• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dog threat to rare nesting birds (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

Dog owners will not listen...I own a dog and i refuse to take it to a reserve. But to every reserve I go to there is a big sign saying KEEP DOGS ON LEADS but every time i never see a dog on the lead, it really is not difficult.

In one of my local Reserves the whole reserve is more like a dog tiolet, and the dogs frighten everything off that is wild and has fur and feathers. A dog snarled at me the other day, while i walked on a public pathway to the Reserve, and I was very unhappy about it and it was not on a lead either.

The Reserve signing tells dog owners to keep their dogs on leads, but local people ignore any signs. There is a huge park nearby upteen sizes bigger then the 10 hectre wood (Reserve) and I do not understand why the dogs are not left to run over park land instead.

No wonder ground nesting birds never get a chance with all the 'boistorious' out of control activity of the over population of dogs in the area in Berkshire. :C:C

It is good that their are wardens in the area. I hope that the area is fenced of where the ground nesting birds frequent.

Regards
Kathy
x

There definitely is a joke in that!
However this is quite a contentious matter, which I am quite interested in. Also see this link. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article2388323.ece

I am neither a dog lover nor hater but it would be good to get some more info on this matter as it could make a big dfference espcially if NE (or other body) decide on making some reserves dog free by law.
Anyone else have any links/info, preferably scientific data on the subject, if that exists?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back