• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Israel 2012 (1 Viewer)

Steve Arlow

United Kingdom
Spring 2012

After a change of plan from a trip to Goa I am now spending 10days in Israel at the end of March this year.

It's been a long time since I was there and now managed to get plenty of information however a couple of bits I still need clarification on if someone could assist.

Is an International Drivers Licence required. It was in 1996 when I was last there.

Would an Israeli Passport stamp prevent me from entering neighbouring Arab countries such as Egypt, Oman etc. Likewise if I had a stamp from an Arab country would it prevent me entering Israel in the future.

It used to be a case of if you have an Arab stamp you can't come in but have things changed at all?

And finally it seems a Visa is not required to enter Israel for UK Passport holders but I have heard that this may not be the case.

It would be interesting to see others sightings here for the spring to see a change over the season.

regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

No visa needed, I was over there in November. Israeli immigration will ask you if you want your passport stamped or not, or mine did anyway. An Israeli stamp can cause problems elsewhere, Malaysia for example though Arab countries with good relations ie Jordan, not a problem.
Don't know about the IDL.

Spring 2012

It used to be a case of if you have an Arab stamp you can't come in but have things changed at all?

Steve

I got into Israel a few years ago when I had a UAE stamp in my passport with no trouble, though a subsequent day trip to Jordan had me one of the last to get my passport back at the border. Rest of my family had no trouble but they didn't have a UAE stamp in their passports

You don't need an international driver's licence. And yes, in some countries and Israeli stamp in your passport can be problematic and vice versa. At least in Israel you can ask them not to put a stamp in your passport.

Have fun, Israel in spring is very nice, best time of year with lots of flowers and wildlife. In a couple of weeks I'll be off for a short visit there myself.

As i understand it, the only country which will not allow you in if you have an Israeli stamp is Syria, and sadly i can't see that being an issue for a while. I had a Syrian stamp in my passport but it was up for renewal before i went to Israel in 2011. I'm not sure what Iran or Lebanon would say, but as mentioned in a previous post you don't have to get the Israeli stamp when you enter anyway.
My tatty old paper licence sufficed.
Had a great trip, sure you will too.

Many thanks everyone,

Really geared up for some gulling at Ashdod (naturally) and general birding at Ma'agan Michael, Beit Shean and Eilat, I may even get a lifer or two, if I'm lucky. Can't wait.

Steve

As i understand it, the only country which will not allow you in if you have an Israeli stamp is Syria, and sadly i can't see that being an issue for a while. I had a Syrian stamp in my passport but it was up for renewal before i went to Israel in 2011. I'm not sure what Iran or Lebanon would say, but as mentioned in a previous post you don't have to get the Israeli stamp when you enter anyway.
My tatty old paper licence sufficed.
Had a great trip, sure you will too.

An Israeli stamp is likely to be at least problematic' trying to enter Lebanon or Iran.

Note that travelling into Sinai from Eilat a Taba Border Crossing stamp is unavoidable. Although this is a Egyptian stamp, it proves the holder has visited Israel and authorities in Syria know this, and will refuse entry. Officials in Iran, Lebanon etc. may or may not be equally savvy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back