• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corncrakes from every angle (1 Viewer)

pianoman

duck and diver, bobolink and weaver
Just returned from a non-birding trip to Inishbofin off the coast of Galway.

Hoped to get a few hours to search for Corncrake, but no need! They were calling from every field and every roadside. Great experience :)

Just returned from a non-birding trip to Inishbofin off the coast of Galway.

Hoped to get a few hours to search for Corncrake, but no need! They were calling from every field and every roadside. Great experience :)

Corncrake numbers are down this year on Inisbofin. 12 calling last year only 8 this year. Numbers in my area down as well. Most likely terrible weather in May led to less birds returning. Most Sub-Saharan migrants have had a similar problem

Hmmn sorry to hear that - I had nothing to compare it to so they seemed quite abundant.

Was trying to estimate the numbers but it is tough from the sound as it seems to follow you around.

I often wonder about the Sahel explanation for the decline, since their distribution in Ireland so closely follows the suitablility of the terrain.

Hmmn sorry to hear that - I had nothing to compare it to so they seemed quite abundant.

Was trying to estimate the numbers but it is tough from the sound as it seems to follow you around.

I often wonder about the Sahel explanation for the decline, since their distribution in Ireland so closely follows the suitablility of the terrain.

129-133 calling males in 2012. 180 in 2013 and 230 in 2014. Numbers back down to 180 this year. Could be that a lot of calling males missed during the bad weather in May. They will call less during bad weather.

Crexs often call beside walls/boulders so with the echo you can think they are two birds.

Main problem in Ireland is lack of early cover when crexs arrive.

Corncrakes haven't read the rule book lately. One was craking in full view of everybody on the road side in Iona when I was there in late May.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back