• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (19 Viewers)

Sunday 13th July 1600-2000

WeBS counts as follows:

MOORS POOL
2 Cormorant, 3 Grey Heron, 2 Mute Swan + 6 cygnets, 10 Greylag Geese, 18 Canada Geese, 110 Mallard, 3 Shelduck (roosting on East Island), 4 Teal (North Moors, Shoveler - eclipse male in North Moors; 2 females and 10 young in Amy's Marsh, c25 Tufted Duck and many young, 8 Lapwing, 2 adult + 2 newly fledged Oystercatcher, c90 BH Gull, 2 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull, 96 Coot, 14 Moorhen, 1 GC Grebe, 3 adult + 4 young Little Grebe (1+0 in SW marsh, 0+1 in Broadmeadow, 1+2 at north end, 1+1 at north end), 10+ Common Terns with 3 fledged young in old rafts and 2 small chicks on new raft (unable to see any on the shingle island from the east hide).
BH Gull attempted to take Coot chick; dropped it having lifted it 2 foot off the ground following "attention" from its parents.

SAILING POOL
28 Canada Geese, 4 Coot, c35 Mallard, 2 adult + 3 young GC Grebe

FLASHES
10 LR Plover (6 adults and 4 juvs), 2 summer plumage Dunlin, 2 Snipe, 2 Common Sandpiper, 10 Green Sandpiper, 6 Lapwing, 23 Curlew, 2 Oystercatcher + 1 chick, 29 adult and fledged Avocet + 9 chicks (4:3:2), 3 eclipse Gadwall, 3 Shelduck flew in from the Moors, 11 Teal, 2 Tufted Duck, 11 Teal, 105 Mallard, c40 BH Gull, 17 Coot, 10 Moorhen, family party of Mistle Thrush with 2+ young on wires north of the first Flash.

A late sitting Little Ringed Plover was successfully caged - fingers crossed everyone that we can successfully get some chicks fledged

Last edited:
The July list is already on a very respectable 87. Potential additions for the remainder of the month include:

Garganey, Pochard, Pheasant, Ringed Plover, Redshank, Ruff, Med Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Black Tern, Little Owl, Tawny Owl, Cuckoo, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Redstart, Spotted Fly, Coal Tit, Jay, Yellowhammer

Had a Jay at the Flashes on Friday morning.

random pics

1. one of the many tufted broods
2. shoveler family
3. burnet moth
4. the saucer...the best wader feeding area on the reserve

Attachments

• 1. tufted chDSCF1061 (3).JPG
    1. tufted chDSCF1061 (3).JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 2. shov familyDSCF1057 (2).JPG
    2. shov familyDSCF1057 (2).JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 3. burnet mothDSCF1075 (3).jpg
    3. burnet mothDSCF1075 (3).jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 4, the saucerDSCF1101 (2).JPG
    4, the saucerDSCF1101 (2).JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 83
Pic of the Oycs from the east hide

Some more pics of the Oycs taken on Friday 11th July:

1. Family party on the West track
2 & 3. Parent bird acting as a lookout on the roof of the Jacobs Hide

Attachments

• Oystercatcher family.JPG
    Oystercatcher family.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Oyc on Jacobs Hide.JPG
    Oyc on Jacobs Hide.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Parent Oyc on lookout.JPG
    Parent Oyc on lookout.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 67
Some more pics of the Oycs taken on Friday 11th July:

1. Family party on the West track
2 & 3. Parent bird acting as a lookout on the roof of the Jacobs Hide

I was walking up the track, when they walked past me in the opposite direction looking a bit shady, I knew they hadn't got a permit but I didn't like to ask.8-P
Joking apart, it shows how dry it is and how little food there is available in the locale.

Tomorrow we will be cutting the vegetation between the sand martin bank and seasonal pool. This will hopefully alleviate the lack of Oystercatcher food.

Last edited:
Odonata at Upton Warren

Some pics of a couple of dragonflies seen near the seasonal pool on the North Moors plantation on Friday 11th July.

1. Four-spotted Chaser - only 4 had been recorded on the reserve according to the 2012 Birds of Upton Warren annual report. I notice that Rob Evans (Forgetfulelephant) saw 2 about a month ago in the same spot, so the species is evidently becoming more numerous on the reserve.

2 & 3 Ruddy Darter

Attachments

• Four Spotted Chaser (UW).jpg
    Four Spotted Chaser (UW).jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Ruddy Darter1(UW).jpg
    Ruddy Darter1(UW).jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Ruddy Darter2(UW).jpg
    Ruddy Darter2(UW).jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 58
can't add a lot to Phil's

Flashes
lapwing 10 (6 juvs), Raven, sedge warbler and several reed warblers singing around 1st Flash. linnet c10 some males singing from the ground

That is a drastic decline in Lapwing numbers since the weekend! Around 200 were sitting between the 2nd and 3rd flash Saturday evening!
MB

Some pics of a couple of dragonflies seen near the seasonal pool on the North Moors plantation on Friday 11th July.

1. Four-spotted Chaser - only 4 had been recorded on the reserve according to the 2012 Birds of Upton Warren annual report. I notice that Rob Evans (Forgetfulelephant) saw 2 about a month ago in the same spot, so the species is evidently becoming more numerous on the reserve.

2 & 3 Ruddy Darter

The 4-Spot has been resident for about a month at the seasonal pool, with a max of four two weeks ago. Apparently 4-Spots have been more numerous in Worcestershire this year.

Des.

I bumped into one of the new wardens today crickey mate glad I had my membership card :eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!:

Attachments

• BOB  WARDEN 9070.jpg
    BOB WARDEN 9070.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 178
Today we cleared the east track and part of the north moors trail.
Luckily Steve at lifestyles offered his services (free of charge) to cut the east track. And then went on to cut a bit of the area between the seasonal pool and sand martin bank with his tractor mower. A great tool that we might be able to hire (with the driver) to assist our work next season.

pics
1 before work on seasonal pool.
2. after the work, this now allows viewing over the better parts from the east hide.
3. the seasonal pool - rapidly drying out with forecast heavy rain on the weekend it might fill up a bit. Today several lapwing fed on the masses of insects in the wet mud.
4. the tractor man:t:

Attachments

• B4 wrk seasonal pool DSCF1114 (2).JPG
    B4 wrk seasonal pool DSCF1114 (2).JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 79
  • seasonal pool afta wrk jul 2014 DSCF1126 (3).JPG
    seasonal pool afta wrk jul 2014 DSCF1126 (3).JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 85
  • seasonal pool DSCF1125 (2).JPG
    seasonal pool DSCF1125 (2).JPG
    378.5 KB · Views: 77
  • tractor DSCF1118 (2).JPG
    tractor DSCF1118 (2).JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 101

2 & 3 Ruddy Darter

Had "quite a few" 4 spots on North Moors seasonal the other Sunday.....thought I had commented.....also a couple or three of Broad Bodied Chaser Males along with Male and Female Black Tailed Skimmers.
Hundreds of Damsels and as leaving a giant Brown Hawker was buzzing around.
While I was quietly waiting for all above I was twice visited by a flock of young L.T.Tits that came so close I got pics with the tube on the 400 mm....thats close.
Keith

The Moors Today.
Before the work I had a good check on the breeding species. The Shovelers were all ok, tufted still good numbers of chicks. Fresh broods of mallard, moorhen and coot. Oystercatcher chicks both good. Sedge and reed warbler and reed bunting all feeding young in the 'hook' in front of the east hide.
Now for some good news - ref post#24908 11th July, when I mentioned the large chick being lost off the new raft. Well it is still with us and must have been hiding on the north island. Its not fully fledged but is a strong flyer. The 2 small chicks are still ok on the new raft. The one surviving chick from the shingle islnd had moved to the 'pool island', later relocating to the 'channel' shingle island. However at present there are NO sitting birds, the one in the SE corner of the shingle island appeared to be sitting. But when a flock of greylags wandered over the island it was nowhere to be seen.
Species count MOORS
GCG 2, little grebe 4 ads and chick heard on Broadmeadow pool, greylag 10, mute swan pr + 6 chicks, shoveler male and fem + 10 chicks, tufted c45 several broods, coot 130 (incl large sized chicks), water rail today juvs were seen in Amy's marsh scrape, in front of concrete hide and the NM seasonal pool. Snipe flew out of Broadmeadow during work, lapwing 26, oystercatcher 4 (2 ads and 2 juvs), avocet 15 - all feeding very well along the shallow areas, from the pool island to the channel island and mouth of the lagoon, common tern at least 11 adults and broods of 2:1:1 all 29 days old, 1 chick 12 days, old and 2 - 5 days old. LBBG 2 repelled many times by the terns, which also attacked a hunting Hobby, collared dove, jay, several young bullfinch and chaffinch (not a common breeder on the reserve, reed , sedgew and chiffchaff were all singing and feeding young.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back