• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

There was fog inside my telescope: Hawke Endurance ED 20-60x85 (1 Viewer)

Joe.S

Is this normal?

It thought the glare was bad from the sun until I happened, by chance, to look at the end of the scope. I took a picture (the fog is on the inside).

It fogged up within 10-15 minutes of being outside. It was a very sunny day and I was facing into the sun. I didn't directly point the telescope at the sun, I kept moving down a hedgerow, with the sun on my face.

I bought the scope secondhand from LCE. It's only the second time I've used it outside and the first time in sunlight.

The fog cleared after 20mins of being in the shade.

Any idea what is wrong with it? I presume this isn't normal. Help!

Attachments

• fog.jpg
    fog.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 123
I had the exact same problem with a Zen Ray ED a few years ago (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=219342)
Moisture condensed in the front lens in direct sun..I suspect that the scope was put together and then nitrogen was purged inside the body..but ,what about the air between the two or three elements in the objective?...these a tight closed with seals to avoid moisture to enter,but i suspect air containing hidrogen stays inside the lens cell,and then ,even if the whole body is purged with dry gas,moisture condensation can happen...thats my theory anyway..You should have the scope fixed by the manufacturer...its a shame

It's a bit disheartening to see fog INSIDE the telescope, but it's going back to LCE and will be fixed under warranty (sigh of relief).

Thanks for your reply- I'm not the only one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back