• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Summer to Remember (1 Viewer)

I am not going to use the word 'fantastic' after using it on the 'Spoonbill' thread o:D but I will say...very nice news indeed.:t:
Thanks for posting the link, Robin!:t:

Who says the return of red backed shrike wasn't predicted

However, the UK's climate may be suitable for the following species to colonise:

Little bittern

Night heron

Black kite

Short-toed eagle

Little bustard

Scops owl

Hoopoe

Wryneck

Black woodpecker

Crested lark

Fan-tailed warbler

Great reed warbler

Melodious warbler

Bonelli's warbler

Short-toed treecreeper

Woodchat shrikeThe Woodchat Shrike

Red-backed shrike

Serin

Ortolan bunting

The report, A Climatic Atlas of European Breeding Birds, maps potential change in distribution of all the continent's regularly occurring nesting birds against a temperature rise of 3C.

The RSPB today called for urgent action to cut greenhouse gas emissions to avoid a 'calamitous' impact on birds.

A new report published today by the conservation charity shows that if climate change is not slowed down, the potential distribution of average bird species by the end of this century will shift nearly 342 miles (550km) to the north-east – equivalent to the distance from Plymouth to Newcastle.

The report, A Climatic Atlas of European Breeding Birds, maps potential change in distribution of all the continent's regularly occurring nesting birds against a temperature rise of 3C.

It shows that the average European bird's distribution will be reduced in size by 20%, and its future range will overlap its current by only 40%. Three-quarters of all Europe's nesting birds are likely to suffer declines in range, according to the report, published as a partnership between the RSPB, Durham and Cambridge universities, Lynx, BirdLife International and the European Bird Census council.

Some species, including the black-throated diver, snow bunting, capercaillie and dotterel, could be left with few areas of suitable climate in the UK.

Without action to protect populations now and ensure that they can find suitable habitats in future, this could significantly increase their risk of extinction, the report warns. Efforts must be increased to maintain existing protected areas and to extend their coverage in the future to accommodate changes in potential distributions.

Follow this link for the full article

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Climat...s-a01611523126

I haven't read the report only the article.

I didn't know the report existed.

If only they had asked me I could have told them what was going to happen without them wasting all that money on the report. They could have used the money to buy some land

Last edited:
If only they had asked me I could have told them what was going to happen without them wasting all that money on the report. They could have used the money to buy some land

The difference between this report and your version is of course that they say what COULD POTENTIALLY happen, not what WILL happen...

I refer the honourable member to my answer given from my house on the 6th of September.

In terms of Amirillo's response

"The difference between this report and your version is of course that they say what COULD POTENTIALLY happen, not what WILL happen..."

The similarity is that it is already happening.

Last edited:
Great news – this was one of the first birds I saw when I starting birding in the UK too many years ago.

Well apparently, it was one of the birds I may have seen at Minsmere in about 1955, but as I was very young indeed (!) I have no recollection. Although I do remember hearing Bittern booming there (also !) My parents took us there, partly because they were interested in birds, but also because my mother had worked on the radar station at Dunwich during the war.

Red-backed Shrike doesn't appear on my list of birds seen in Britain until 1987!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back