• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dog Control Order On The Hayle Estuary - We Need Your Help! (1 Viewer)

The does not seem to be provision for posting to Cornwall CC in favour of the DCO.

This one of my pet subjects and I would favour greater restrictions on dogs on Beaches, here in Torbay dogs are banned from most beaches from the end of April until the end of September although the ban appears to be ignored in many places and I see little evidence of enforcement. The sad thing is that in much of Torbay this means that birds are efectively excluded from many beaches during from Autumn until late spring.

Another place in Torbay where dogs run amok is the SSS! at Walls Hill, which effectively prevents many species of ground nesting birds from being able to live and breed there.

A further problem these days are the large number of people who own several dogs and clearly have no control over them and now it seems to be the exception rather than the rule to have your dog on a lead.

Thirty or forty years ago of course it ould have been the police who would have been enforcing the law concerning dogs, and of course forty years ago almost all dogs had to have a licence and it was not unknown for the police to check if the dog had a licence.

SW

Done, e-mail sent! More power to their elbow! Maybe other councils will then be brave enough to follow suit.

C'mon all you birders that visit Hayle Estuary show your support for the proposed Dog Control Order before 27th Sept. and help the wildlife wintering there get on with survival without being daily harrassed by dogs.

Thanks

Here's an e-mail link to the right person to make it even easier.

[email protected]

Last edited:
Sent my e-mail last week, come on it only takes a few minutes. If you have birded the Hayle in the past put something back into birding for a change. All birders should support this worthy cause. :t:

Sylvia

Sent my e-mail last week, come on it only takes a few minutes. If you have birded the Hayle in the past put something back into birding for a change. All birders should support this worthy cause. :t:

Sylvia

Well said Sylvia, a couple of minutes of someone's time can make all the difference to the lives of scores of wintering birds.

I've sent one, but I also note the Cornwall CC website says that objections must be received no later than 7th October, rather than 17th Sept?

This order should be extended country-wide! I get more than a little tired of dog-walkers thinking everyone is supposed to love their pet. I was menaced by a rather frightening dog off its lead only recently (in an area where leads were to be used at all times) The owner said 'there was nothing to be worried about' Yeah right; maybe the owner knows that! Ive had too many encounters with such selfish, arrogant behaviour; hence my initial comment. Even across our beautiful local parks the land is pitted with dog excrement; theyre like mine-fields! In some cases where it is scooped up, ive seen the bags thrown into bushes. Why?
My local beach is facing the same problem with rather dangerous looking dogs, allowed to run off the lead! I regularly see huge flocks of birds scattered by these dogs, and more significantly, children and others being intimidated. The owners of these animals may feel safe; but im feeling increasingly unsafe in areas where I should be allowed to relax! :C

sent my email some time last week.

Let's be clear, this has got very little to do with the dogs, it about the unacceptable behaviour of people who don't believe rules that are unlikely to get enforced, apply to them.

Holkam gap in Norfolk or Wells Woods are other prime examples that spring to mind of NRs used through ignorance to exercise dogs. Good luck to the people of Hayle in protecting their estuary.

Robin (I have two dogs by the way)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back