• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x30W DDR Jena Jenoptem MC Porros (1 Viewer)

Ireneibm

Hello All
I recently acquired an older pair of Zeiss 8x30W Jena Jenoptem DDR multicoated porro prism binoculars that are in very good condition. Does anyone have any idea when these were made?

They are in very good shape and when I shine a light in them they do not seem to have any fungus, but there appears to be a very slight cloudiness or haze reflecting, primarily in the right barrel - maybe off the prisms. Is this normal for a pair this old and although the view seems very clear, I am wondering how much of an effect this has on contrast and brightness. Would it be worth it to get them cleaned, and if so, how much would it be?

Rene

Can you give me the first two numbers of the serial number, either on the hinge disc at the front or on the rhs prism cover(but unlikely on a Jenoptem).

As posted above it is 614xxxx - a 7 digit number on the front cap. So the first two numbers are 61

Any thoughts on my comments on the slight haze or cloudiness?

Rene

Irene: Welcome to the Birdforum, and you should find some sound advice here.
I do think a proper cleanup, and collimation by some of the usual top names mentioned on this website, will cost in the range of $100. or so. There may be some others in a large city that may do it for less. That does take the fun out of it.

That means enjoy your Zeiss, and I would not have it worked on until necessary.

Jerry

Thank you for the welcome. The binoculars seem to be well aligned and appear to give a nice view. I am curious what would cause the slight haze and if it would cut down on resolution or contrast. I did not notice anything wrong with them until a friend shined a light in thru the eyepiece end, and at a certain angle, I could see some somewhat of a hazy or cloudy reflection toward the middle inside, but don't notice it looking straight in thru either end. The lenses seem to be clear and free of any mold, fungus or dirt.

Rene

Hello Rene,

A 614xxxx serial # is of 1985 manufacture. Zeiss Jena (East German Zeiss) binoculars such as yours made after 1977 had the excellent 3TM multi-coated multi-coated optics. They are a very good vintage binocular with a pleasing wide-angle and sharp view. However, they are fragile and its prisms are prone to shifting with a loss of collimation or chipping if the binocular is dropped or handled roughly. Also, the binocular is not sealed particularly well and not weather-proof.

Haze is not uncommon in even the highest quality older binoculars because technology was not available to perfectly seal it from the atmosphere. For example, in your binocular which is a center focus just focusing it moves the eyepieces back and forth which works like a bellows moving small amounts of air in and out of the binocular. This air contains moisture or impurities which over time leave deposits on the interior optical surfaces in the form of haze. Also, sealants and lubricants present in the binocular will over time sometimes break-down depositing a haze on the optics called out-gassing.

Without seeing the binocular I can't say if removing the haze would significantly improve the view. Usually doing so does. If the haze is thick removing it will make the view a lot brighter. If it's very slight, you may not be able to tell any difference in the view after it's removed. If the binocular is important to you, I recommend having it serviced (as mentioned in a previous post for a cost of about $100) because the chances are good doing so will improve the view. And fragile as it is, this is a nice binocular.

Last edited:
Sorry about the serial number thing, I could only see half your message for some reason.
As LPT says, it is a good binocular, and I remember them being for sale over here in the 1980's for £35.

Please correct me if I am wrong but it would appear that there is much more of a knowledge base regarding Zeiss in Europe than there is here in the US. I suppose it makes sense. Zeiss has made such great bins you would think there would be more of a knowledge base in the states as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back