• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

He is getting braver...Pileated woodpecker landed in the same spot this blue jay is. (1 Viewer)

cadillactaste

We've had the Pileated Woodpecker feeding for awhile now at the feeder. He has never came in close while we're sitting on the back patio. He'll circle around and fly off.

Tonight he landed where this blue jay sits! When I grabbed the camera he flew off. I have high hopes he'll do so again...I need to be patient...no sudden moves the first few times I guess.

Was awe struck by this tonight...that I had to share!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 64
The red-bellied looks quite content there too...!

That he is...the downy,hairy,red headed and red bellied all come to the feeders while we're outside on the patio. The downy will practically land on my shoulders when I am filling the feeders. Circles around me being silly.

I too have the same species you mention-until I got into birdwatching I never knew the difference. I enjoy watching them all...:t:

I too have the same species you mention-until I got into birdwatching I never knew the difference. I enjoy watching them all...:t:
The downy seem more personalbe. With their cute antics. Though I love them all...the size of the Pileated still by far amazes me.

They are the only birds that play peek-a-boo at the feeder or behind the tree.

Nice capture of the two birds.

Thanks! The bare branch had leaves and branches pruned hard to keep squirrels off the feeders. But left main branch to allow for perching. Which allows for such photo opportunities...with one waiting their turn at the feeder. That the Pileated sat there so close while we sat on the back patio...someone could have knocked me down with a feather! I was so taken back as in awe of that large woodpecker! They are to be very skittish...so I've read.

Literally sitting outside watching the Pileated Woodpecker eating at the feeder!!! No photos...don't wish to scare him away...just hoping he'll get used to coming in while we're sitting out here.

My English Bulldog is also at my feet...and he still came in. Perched on the branch I mentioned before first. Then flew to a nearby tree...then to the feeder!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back