• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HT's & SF's Reviewed At Greatestbinoculars.com (1 Viewer)

He is a member here on BF and posts his reviews here from time to time.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=317114&highlight=Tobias

Thanks. I read all his 8x42 alpha reviews, and partially as a result I'm buying the Ultravid HD Plus, so I just wanted to know if I can take the reviews seriously before I sent MidwayUSA the money for only my second non-Zeiss.

I get that optically the Ultravid HD Plus may be edged out for some users by EL's and HT's and SF's. But given the close distance between them, the compactness of the Ultras, and the Leica design and finish, I'm good to go. I've been primarily using Zeiss Marines for the last three years.

The possible trade off is worth it to me as my Zeiss Marines have been all over SubSahara Africa and I'm catching myself starting to leave them packed due to size and weight. After those excellent beasts, I think any Alpha will leave me giddy. At any rate, the starting point for me will be the 8X42 Ultravid HD Plus, and I'll go from there if necessary.

Last edited:
Thanks. I read all his 8x42 alpha reviews, and partially as a result I'm buying the Ultravid HD Plus, so I just wanted to know if I can take the reviews seriously before I sent MidwayUSA the money for only my second non-Zeiss.

I get that optically the Ultravid HD Plus may be edged out for some users by EL's and HT's and SF's. But given the close distance between them, the compactness of the Ultras, and the Leica design and finish, I'm good to go. I've been primarily using Zeiss Marines for the last three years.

I can't imagine where I would be able to physically try all the Alphas reviewed before April (Rwanda gorillas and Uganda), so I'll order the Ultras and go from there. EL's are in every outdoor glass case it seems, Leica and Zeiss harder to find, and if you do, side-by-side comparisons highly unlikely. B&H in NYC had everything in stock when I visited but not in the glass case.

You will love your Ultravids.
For me they fall short on close-focusing distance but this might not be a priority for you.

Lee

http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/zeiss/zeissvictoryht8x42/zeissvictoryht8x42.html

Who is Tobias Mennle? I Have been trying to find out about this guy. Is he a credible expert minus a lab full of instruments? A Chuck Hawkes?

Interesting reviews on the big four 8X42 (Ultravids, Swarovisions, HT's, SF's).

If you search BF I am sure you would't find a single review or opinion on the web about Alpha bins that hasn't been discussed here. You can find that Tobias has contributed to many threads.

http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/zeiss/zeissvictoryht8x42/zeissvictoryht8x42.html

Who is Tobias Mennle? I Have been trying to find out about this guy. Is he a credible expert minus a lab full of instruments? A Chuck Hawkes?

Interesting reviews on the big four 8X42 (Ultravids, Swarovisions, HT's, SF's).

While I respect (and often cite his work through URLs) when doing ammunition work ups for my work or others, I think Tobias is much more well known and respected as far as optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back