• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A fantastic day on Scolt Head Island (1 Viewer)

Mouse

We (3 long-time birders and me, a relative newbie of 18 months) spent the bank holiday weekend in Norfolk, the highlight of the weekend being a day on Scolt Head Island - out on the ferry and walking back at low tide. It was our first opportunity to really try out our newly purchased cameras (Nikon CP995's), both attached to the scopes and on their own. We'd spent the previous day at Titchwell and saw the usual fare but nothing out of the ordinary, didn't manage so see or hear bittern, nor were we lucky enough to be there at the same time as the collared pratincole.

We set off on the ferry at 9.30 and the first thing that greeted us as we climbed out onto an upturned crate and down to the beach was a very anxious oystercatcher flying around us. We soon spotted her nest and, keeping our distance of course, were priveleged to witness her second baby hatching - what a magical start to the day! There were several common tern along with sandwich and little tern flying around as we started our long walk along the island.

When we got down and walked along the beach for a while, we watched some turnstone, a ringed plover and several sanderlings although it took a lot of deliberation to decide that's definitely what they were! Then we noticed a little tern with a fish, doing his best to woo his mate while not being put off by another male trying to intervene. Set up the camera on the scope and snapped away and were lucky enough to capture the 'magic moment'!

Thoroughly happy with this, we walked a while more spotting a few butterflies (common blue, small copper, small heath, green-veined white, cinnabar moth) along the way, then stopped for lunch on the high dunes near the hut. Had a lovely view of a cuckoo and linnets perching on some hawthorne, very pretty. After lunch we had some lovely views of a reed bunting flitting in front of us for about 15 minutes as we walked. There was nothing remarkable bird-wise for the rest of the day but it was such a beautiful day, although by the time we got back at 6 I was worn out |=o|

Next morning we went up the road on the offchance that we might see the reported montagu's harrier and we were duly rewarded. We had great views of a lone male on the ground, then fantastic views of a pair in flight including a mid-air food drop. As well as that a pair of marsh harriers, a pair of sparrowhawks and a buzzard all got in on the act providing a lovely display over the next field. Down the road at Ryburgh raptor point we saw honey buzzard, hobby and kestrel - a good day for raptors.

I won't give you the full list as I'm sure this is a long enough post already, but my tally for the weekend was 57, plus a grin that'll last all week and the memory of a fantastic day. :bounce:

Attachments

• oystercatcher.jpg
    oystercatcher.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 151
  • oysterbaby.jpg
    oysterbaby.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 101
  • beeorchid.jpg
    beeorchid.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 128
  • commonblues.jpg
    commonblues.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 133
  • terns.jpg
    terns.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 110
Mouse,

I thoroughly enjoyed your report - it could've been twice as long, and it still wouldn't be long enough!

Must get down to Norfolk again this year..!

Mouse
Great report, thoroughly enjoyed reading it, made me want to be there. The photo's were an added bonus, Thanks.

Midge

Yes, Scolt Head is a truly great place. And as you usually end up having to wade at least one way it's unlikely to get too popular.

Thing about Scolt Head is that it can be a pain to get to, and is probably underwatched. Look what rarities they've had in the past... Marmora's springs to mind..

. I well remember chartering a local crab boat (thus circumventing MEGA queues!) to see a Lesser Crested Tern on Scolt! Nice! And my first King Eider (and Norfolk's I think!) about 100 years ago!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back