• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED78? eyepice recomendation (1 Viewer)

Simon S

I have just bought a second hand Nikon ED 78 scope, and I think it is an early model with a zoom eyepiece. The quality of the image is great, and very sharp, but I would love to great a wide angle eyepiece with a magnification of around 50X.
Can I fit an adaptor to take a third party eyepiece?
Any recommendations?

You can use other Nikon Fieldscope eyepieces in your scope..Nikon makes a 50X wide for the ED78,the famous 27x-40x-50x, an excellent eyepiece
Adapter for third party eyepieces?...mmm The Nikon thread is a bit tight--In the sense that I dont see much room to fit adapters and have any room for the eyepiece on top of that..I have been thinking about some astronomy eyepieces that might work,once the astronomy barrel is removed ,adapting the thread in the eyepiece to the Nikon thread,but so far havent yet tried..

Thank you Mayoayo, the eyepiece is marked 20-45x but judging by exit pupil size this refers to a 50mm objective version?

Attachments

• scope 1.jpg
    scope 1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 142
  • scope2.jpg
    scope2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 132
Simon,

That zoom is a 25-56x on the ED 78 A. The scope is a fine scope, and will be even better if you upgrade the eyepiece. You could get a Nikon 50x wide for it, but you will sometimes feel that it gives you too much mag. Either the 30x wide or 38x wide would be a better option. It does not much matter whether you get one of the older rubber-eyecup versions or one of the newer MC's with a twist-out eyecup, optically they are almost identical. But, the 25-75x zooms are much better than the old 25-56x. They are brighter, have better contrast and allow you to take full advantage of the resolving power of the scope. Their weakness is their small field of view and scant eye-relief, but if you don't wear glasses while viewing, they give an excellent image.

Kimmo

Thank you Kommo thats great. The view is great but a little lacking contrast, maybe a 38x would be best.
What do I search for, a Nikon 38x eyepiece but is there a model number? Are they all screw in fitting?

Nikon 7463 or BDB90060

Yes, they are all screw-in. Don't confuse them with the eyepieces for the RA/Sky&Earth series. I'm hoping to find one too, but can't afford one atm.

//L

Last edited:
Simon,

That zoom is a 25-56x on the ED 78 A. ...You could get a Nikon 50x wide for it, but you will sometimes feel that it gives you too much mag. Either the 30x wide or 38x wide would be a better option.

Kimmo

The 27x/40x/50x DS and MC are very nice (although I like the 16x/24x/30x even better).
Re the FOV: at 50x it has nearly the same TFOV as the zoom @25x (24 vs 28 m @1000 m). So the smaller FOV of the 50x is no real problem, but the shakes and the slightly darker image might be.

//L

Thank you all for your great help, I think I will look out for the 38x WF eyepiece unless a used bargain comes along.
Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back