• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bienvenue 'chez Nick' (1 Viewer)

[QUOTE(and pectoral sands can just **** off!)

They heard you Nick and came to sunny Norfolk

Beautiful work in your own brilliant imaginative style.

two more, a nutcracker in mist - following Julie Andrews' advice, I climbed at least one mountain - her character's native Untersberg, and just had enough time to enjoy a flock of Alpine Choughs, a Griffon Vulture and a Chiffchaff before the mist descended. The Nutcracker was well and truly invisible a few metres further away.

Also, red and green should never be seen? Nice to have a wryneck perch with the black redstarts.

Attachments

• paintpics 002.jpg
    paintpics 002.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 53
  • paintpics 003.jpg
    paintpics 003.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 54
and while I'm here, I was in Brittany for a few days last month, here are some sketches. Oystercatcher, Knots and Sanderling, then a Greenshank, some Mediterranean Gulls and an Arctic Skua that was harrassing the Sandwich Terns - I don't think Tim has anything to worry about from me as regards (one of) his signature bird(s) - and I haven't seen a Short-eared Owl for 7 and a half years, so should be safe there too!

Attachments

• paintypaint 004.jpg
    paintypaint 004.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 47
  • paintypaint 005.jpg
    paintypaint 005.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 54
  • paintypaint 008.jpg
    paintypaint 008.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 46
  • paintypaint 006.jpg
    paintypaint 006.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 42
  • paintypaint 007.jpg
    paintypaint 007.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
All here is a joy to behold, but the Water Rails are especially mouth-watering. It is a privileged to have new posts from you pouring down on this forum.

All here is a joy to behold, but the Water Rails are especially mouth-watering. It is a privileged to have new posts from you pouring down on this forum.

The main thing I think when I see this pouring down is: It's a shame that more people don't see it and realize how special it is! But I'm happy to count myself among the lucky ones that are able to see it. I see what you mean about the 'softly, softly' painting. Very well done and quite different from you I think.

I am knackered - got up just after 6 this morning so I could check on a bit of migration before work at 9 (still a tree pipit and 6 hawfinches went through). I don't think I really should have stayed up till after 1am to paint this grey-headed woodpecker.

Attachments

• greyheadwp.jpg
    greyheadwp.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 64
I am knackered - got up just after 6 this morning so I could check on a bit of migration before work at 9 (still a tree pipit and 6 hawfinches went through). I don't think I really should have stayed up till after 1am to paint this grey-headed woodpecker.

just thinking after the pendulinistas that there hadn't been woodpeckers long time from you

it's almost like the wood sands have elbowed the lesser spot w's out of the way

but then here is the signature bird

and perfectly autumn

While my spurt of energy lasts, I've been attacking a few old pieces that ceased to excite me and tried to do something with them. the egret and lapwings requires a little more tinkering, and perhaps the addition of more birds in the background.

Attachments

• paintings centenaire 003.jpg
    paintings centenaire 003.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 46
  • paintings centenaire 006.jpg
    paintings centenaire 006.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 42
  • paintings centenaire 007.jpg
    paintings centenaire 007.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 42
  • paintings centenaire 009.jpg
    paintings centenaire 009.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 46
  • paintings centenaire 008.jpg
    paintings centenaire 008.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 42
and working on new things: the little bittern isn't finished yet, but hope I'll be brave enough to call it nearly finished.

Attachments

• paintings centenaire 001.jpg
    paintings centenaire 001.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 56
  • paintings centenaire 012.jpg
    paintings centenaire 012.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 61
  • paintings centenaire 002.jpg
    paintings centenaire 002.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 39
finished the little bittern last night, instead of sleeping, I'll sleep tonight. :cat:

Attachments

• kites and blongios painting 007.jpg
    kites and blongios painting 007.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 57
I love that first one. And the burgundy reminds me of some colors I saw yesterday that just called out for a painting, the deep burgundy of Virginia Creeper and the subtle browns of fall Yellow-rumped Warblers, somewhat similar to the shorebirds here.

Earlier in the week I saw a lot of Pine Siskins in sunflowers, thought of it as a subject for a painting, and remembered a number of paintings from you with sunflowers. Now I get home from vacation and here's another one! As usual I just love the combination of bird and environment.

That shimmering quality of number two is also something quite striking. And the final tinkering with lapwings I think will make the last a knockout.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back