• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax K-1 (1 Viewer)

Loutsy

Pentax recently started shipping it's new Pentax K-1. I bought one yesterday and have 2 weeks to decide if I want to keep it. Has anyone used this camera yet for birding and have any comments?

Pentax somehow flies under the wire despite making some very good products. I do not own the K-1 and cannot comment upon it, but can tell you that your file sizes are going to be large if you've never used full frame before, and this goes for any manufacturer. Here's a link that will give you the straight story, as well as lenses available and provide you a place to ask questions from users. FF cameras require FF lenses and this can become expensive, however, since Pentax has been around a long time, there are a lot of manual focus lenses out there that will fit, so you will have to decide up what you want/need. FF cameras are larger, heavier, but can also produce images with outstanding detail, particularly upon enlargement that smaller sensors simply can't match. At low magnifications the difference isn't so pronounced. I hope this will help you.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/

Thanks for your comments - I'll check out the link you provided! This is my first full frame camera, but this new Pentax allows use of all my Pentax and Sigma (made for Pentax) lenses (I have 3) so that's what all of us Pentax users have been waiting for. I've spent today doing side by side comparisons and I'm convinced this may live up to it's great reviews. Have lots to learn yet, and I think the more I learn, the more I'm going to love it. Can hardly wait to get out in the field to see how it works while birding!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back