• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

iPhone fieldguide apps for Panama and Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

aegithalos

Two new iPhone fieldguide apps for Panama and Costa Rica have recently been produced by

http://birdingfieldguides.com

I have the Panama app, and at first glance it is OK - not nearly as full of information as the kind of apps available for Europe or N America, but a start has to be made somewhere. It has ca 500 species (more promised), each with at least one photo and a range map, but no notes on identification. Many have the calls/songs, and this is probably the most useful part, at least for visitors - a viable alternative to downloading from xeno-canto. The app also has capacity for taking photos/recordings, making notes, etc, and facility to upload details (including photos and recordings) of an unknown bird, which the app producers will then help identify (so it says).

Main limitation from my perspective is that the species list is somewhat ad hoc. I cannot find lance-tailed manakin (and some other manakins). Only two tinamous, etc. 500 species is about half the coverage of the Angehr & Dean book, so this app is not nearly going to replace that.

$9.99/£6.99 each, through iTunes, linked from producers' website. There are free 'lite' versions of both, with 15 species.

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention that a new version of the Panama and Costa Rica apps will be available soon for IOS, Android probably in a couple months. All species will be shown on the apps with images for more than 800 species, and sounds for more than 600. Also several other new features, more information, etc., including search by name. Information for identification, habitat, etc. is found by touching the "i" icon on current and upcoming version. Those who have purchased the apps can also update to the new version at no extra cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back