• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two from southeast Texas (1 Viewer)

JeffMoh

I'd welcome a second opinion on these two birds seen yesterday east of Houston.

Jeff

Attachments

• ch1.JPG
    ch1.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 115
  • ch2.jpg
    ch2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 123
Jeff Hi,

Presumably juvenile Gray Hawk would be out of range and consideration? The head pattern, streaking and spotting at breast sides might compare, although I suspect this could be a very rare visitor to your neck of the woods?

cheers

Hi Jeff,

I'd agree with BW Hawk for the first. Second looks fine for Wood-pewee (I imagine Eastern is the default in your location). Not enough contrast in the vest for OSF--also it appears to lack the large bill and big-headed appearance of that species.

Hi Jeff,

I'd agree with BW Hawk for the first. Second looks fine for Wood-pewee (I imagine Eastern is the default in your location). Not enough contrast in the vest for OSF--also it appears to lack the large bill and big-headed appearance of that species.

I'm sure you're right about the Pewee, Jim. Just wishful thinking on my part, as I've seen so few flycatchers here this year.

We don't get Gray Hawk in our area, Ken. And although the size was about right and the chest markings rather similar, the head/face didn't look right for a Gray.

Many thanks to you both.

Jeff

Having compared EWP with OSP....as to be expected there is a degree of variance cosmetically between individuals of the same species, let alone the two.
That being said, my interpretation of image 2. is that it is 'relatively' short tailed, and attenuated. The 'apparent' head size would be posture related, and to my eye, the contrast between the white throat and the darker neck sides, on balance could favour OSP over EWP. Unfortunately I don't think there is enough information on the image for
a satisfactory 100% ID.

cheers

Pale central stripe is too narrow and yellowy for Olive-sided, flanks too pale. Pale neck sides are also more of a wood-pewee feature, Olive-sided usually shows darker neck sides, same colour as cheeks/flanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back