• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A couple of windows 10 questions please (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I didn't want to hijack Andy's thread as this is different.
Complete technophobe here :(
New laptop yesterday (old one must be 10 years old).
The guy suggested accepting the windows 10 upgrade immediately as I have never used 8 either......so I did.
So far so good but 2 questions.............
1) when I open IE there is no 'home button' so when I have skipped thro a
few pages and want to go to 'home' it would appear that I have to close it
down and re-open IE.
I have googled it but can't find the answer.
2) Not sure of the correct terminology but........on my old system I could open
multiple IEs........this would allow me to e.g. go to a web page on one IE &
my emails on the 2nd IE so as to past a link.......or check something out
without closing what I was looking at.
Again, I have googled it without success.
Many thanks

There is a new web browser with Windows 10 called Microsoft Edge, it is from the ground up a completely different program to IE.

Home button is off by default but you can enable it details here http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-add-home-button-back-microsoft-edge

Most, if not all, browsers open multiple pages in tabs rather than multiple windows but you can open a new window in Edge by hitting Ctrl+N when Edge is open

Hope this helps

There is a new web browser with Windows 10 called Microsoft Edge, it is from the ground up a completely different program to IE.

Home button is off by default but you can enable it details here http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-add-home-button-back-microsoft-edge

Most, if not all, browsers open multiple pages in tabs rather than multiple windows but you can open a new window in Edge by hitting Ctrl+N when Edge is open

Hope this helps
Thank you...........as you can maybe imagine, to people like me, trying "new" things is a bit scary (what if the computer blows up:eek!: )
I will look into that link.
Do you have any help re' how to get back to home e.g. after going from link-to-link then wanting to get back to the 'home' page ?
Many thanks.

Most people have a search page as their home page, (the page that comes up first), as you can search from the address bar nowadays it is a bit redundant having a search engine home page. In Edge you can set the starting page like this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/change-your-home-page Then to get to that page just open a new tab and that tab will open on that page. You can even set it so that Edge starts up with multiple tabs on different sites, email, eBay, weather whatever...

It takes a bit of getting used to the change but Edge is supposed to be much faster and more secure that IE.

Most people have a search page as their home page, (the page that comes up first), as you can search from the address bar nowadays it is a bit redundant having a search engine home page. In Edge you can set the starting page like this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/change-your-home-page Then to get to that page just open a new tab and that tab will open on that page. You can even set it so that Edge starts up with multiple tabs on different sites, email, eBay, weather whatever...

It takes a bit of getting used to the change but Edge is supposed to be much faster and more secure that IE.
Again..........many thanks.
must admit that it looks double Dutch to me but I can ask my 12 year old granddaughter to help me translate it :)

Click on the 3 little dots on the top right of the page , select " settings " then click on " advanced settings " , there you will see a small slider box to turn on and show " home page " icon , from there you can type in your chosen website and save it . Close browser and re-open it and your home button and page will be there .

Ashley

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back