• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going to Corsica (1 Viewer)

LMN

Student
Hi
I'm going on a family holiday to Corsica in three days. I have read several reports and believe i'll be able to find Nuthatch and citril Finch om my own but i was told that finding California Quail is quite hard and the best places can be different in different years. Does anybody in here know the best place for California Quail?

Any other tips about good birding, and butterfly locations are of course welcome as well.

Cheers
Lars Michael

Hi
I'm going on a family holiday to Corsica in three days. I have read several reports and believe i'll be able to find Nuthatch and citril Finch om my own but i was told that finding California Quail is quite hard and the best places can be different in different years. Does anybody in here know the best place for California Quail?

Any other tips about good birding, and butterfly locations are of course welcome as well.

Cheers
Lars Michael

Went a few years ago-here are some details from a little report I did.

We stayed at the restful Hotel Mare e Monti in the stunning Balagne region of Corsica. Car hire is essential but can be arranged at Calvi or through a package deal.

This was primarily a sightseeing/ relaxation holiday but I must say the birdwatching was never dull. The most striking memory is the sheer number of Red Kites which can be seen all over the island and every day from the hotel.
Other Feliceto species were: Crag Martin, House Martin, Barn Swallow, Red-rumped Swallow, Swift, Buzzard, Nightingale, Turtle Dove, Collared Dove, Cuckoo, Serin, Citril Finch, Cirl Bunting, Greenfinch, Raven, Hooded Crow, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Red Kite, Spotless Starling, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Spotted Flycatcher, Magpie, House Sparrow, Rock Sparrow, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Jay.
Common Cuckoo is really common around here.They were relentless:calling all the time, day in,day out.

This area at this time of year was a constant hive of activity and filled with bird songs and calls. If you take the path from the start of the GR20 [Northern end] and walk into the mountains there is an abundance of birds at the beginning. Sardinian Warblers abound, as well as Citril Finches, Wheatears, Cirl Buntings, Spotted Flycatcher, Red-backed Shrike, Stonechat, Red Kites and Crag Martins.

I found the endemic species Corsican Citril Finch near the river about 3 miles before Belgodorre [close to a tight bend in the road near the road bridge]. There were at least 17 Red Kites in the high valley north of Belgodorre as you climb up to the mountains again.

There is good seawatching anywhere suitable on the northern coast. Plenty of Med Shearwaters, Yellow-Legged Gulls, Shags [desmarestii] and Cormorants to look at.

Corsica is a stunning island. The scenery can be jaw dropping and there are plenty of birds to see as well.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back