• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringed Brambling (1 Viewer)

Sandra (Taylor)

Is the BTO website the place to go to leave/obtain information on a ringed male brambling found today in Todmorden, West Yorkshire? It flew into a window and played dead for long enough to read the ring number before flying off to rest in a tree

Sandra

Sandra,
I did the same with a BTO ringed Black headed Gull very recently and had a response from them within 10days and a personal email from the ringer the following day. You shouldn't have to wait too long and you're guaranteed (99.999%) a reply. You should very soon receive an acknowledgment of receipt of the info.
Best wishes
Russ

Sandra,
I did the same with a BTO ringed Black headed Gull very recently and had a response from them within 10days and a personal email from the ringer the following day. You shouldn't have to wait too long and you're guaranteed (99.999%) a reply. You should very soon receive an acknowledgment of receipt of the info.
Best wishes
Russ

Thanks Russ - hope so. My son's a bit worried because the ring of course was so tiny therefore the letters tiny & if he got one number/letter wrong the reg will not be accurate. But we'll see, no doubt.

Sandra

Thanks Russ - hope so. My son's a bit worried because the ring of course was so tiny therefore the letters tiny & if he got one number/letter wrong the reg will not be accurate. But we'll see, no doubt.

Sandra

The method ringers use to avoid making mistakes is to read the ring number to someone forwards as they write it down and then repeat it backwards to make sure that it's correct. It's a remarkably effective technique.

The method ringers use to avoid making mistakes is to read the ring number to someone forwards as they write it down and then repeat it backwards to make sure that it's correct. It's a remarkably effective technique.

I think his trouble was that the numbers were so tiny - he said it would have been better if he'd been able to flatten out the ring But that would have only been possible if the bird was dead of course - so what the heck if a number is wrong: hopefully the bird is winging its way back home.

Thanks for your advice - hope I'll need it again in the future.

S

The only real reason for a delay would be if the bird was very recently ringed and the ringer hasn't sent the record to the BTO yet, and some ringers are slower than others.

The only real reason for a delay would be if the bird was very recently ringed and the ringer hasn't sent the record to the BTO yet, and some ringers are slower than others.

My son has had a positive reply from BTO concerning the brambling . As he had thought possible, Robert had mis-read a '5' on the ring as an 'S' but the BTO searched successfully.

The bird (male brambling) was found in Todmorden, West Yorkshire on 11th April 2015 and had been ringed by Merseyside RG on 12th February 2013 at Woolston Eyes, Warrington, Cheshire UK. It was found 788 days after it was ringed, 47km from the ringing site, direction NE.

I hope there's enough information here for you (taken from the Ringing Recovery Report)

Sandra

The BTO are busy automating their systems so information on ringed birds should be pretty quick these days

See post number 13 above Phil. You were right - hasn't take long at all for this info to come through. Very grateful to the BTO for this interesting stuff.

Sandra

Last edited:
Sandra,
Best wishes
Russ

Not had long to wait at all Russ. See my post to Jacana above

Sandra

Got information back yesterday about the brambling, Ross. And my son had read one number wrong on the ring. The ring number contained a '5' which he'd read as an 'S' but the BTO weren't fooled! We're pretty impressed with that response.

Sandra

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back