• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ18 -- Handy to have around when somebody unexpected calls! (1 Viewer)

Cactusdave

Handy to have the trusty FZ18 around when someone unexpected visits the feeders. Lousy light, 1/30th F4.2 aperture priority, ISO 400 full optical zoom plus Nikon X1.5 teleconvertor hand held through a double glazed window. Amazingly the FZ18 still made a decent fist of it. Very grateful as you don't get too many of these on the peanut feeder!

Attachments

• lesser_spot.jpg
    lesser_spot.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 189
  • lesser_spot2.jpg
    lesser_spot2.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 197
Handy to have the trusty FZ18 around when someone unexpected visits the feeders. Lousy light, 1/30th F4.2 aperture priority, ISO 400 full optical zoom plus Nikon X1.5 teleconvertor hand held through a double glazed window. Amazingly the FZ18 still made a decent fist of it. Very grateful as you don't get too many of these on the peanut feeder!

Great bird to get....anywhere....but in your garden, even better! I have the FZ18 predecessor (FZ8) and still love using it.
Well done!
Hobbes

They're good cameras all right - mine has been through all sorts and still keeps on ticking!!

Whereabouts in Bromley are you - I'm just up the road in Sanderstead and LSWs are something of a rarity around here (although there has been a few sightings in the last year or so after many more-or-less dry times.....

Rgds... Ray

Thanks for the comments. I have a Canon 40D and 300m F4 L, but it was the FZ18 that came with me to Argentina and Chile in 2008! This bird has been on the feeder twice since Christmas while I've been around to see it. Great Spots are daily, maybe this bird has copied them.

Ray: I live about a mile from Bromley high street. Typical older medium sized suburban gardens with some mature trees. I also have a small amenity wood about 300 yds away and some green belt open land about a mile away. Hayes/West Wickham commons which are about 1.5 miles away definitely hold Lesser Spot, but they are never easy to find there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back