• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird seen in JHB (1 Viewer)

coati10

I spent May in Boksburg, South Africa and saw this bird. Not sure what it is, maybe a young Falcon, any help appreciated...

Attachments

• 9779    -     -.jpg
    9779 - -.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 9780     -.jpg
    9780 -.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 58
Black-shouldered is only used for axillaris now I believe which is only in Australia, on the IOC anyway

A

Both are still in use, and it is likely than Coati has a field guide using Black-shouldered Kite.

Reading Avibase, it seems that more references use "-shouldered" than "-winged".

I was therefore perfectly correct.

Your bird is an adult whilst the OP is not, some raptors eye colour does change from juv to adult so maybe this does?

A

The English common names for this/these species are bonkers anyway:

Its not a Kite per se, they are hunters and a totally different structure etc, they don't have black wings or shoulders - well birds don't have shoulders :-O - maybe it could be called Black-wristed Not-kite ;)

I prefer the nice Spanish name - Eliano (simplemente).

The English common names for this/these species are bonkers anyway:

Its not a Kite per se, they are hunters and a totally different structure etc, they don't have black wings or shoulders - well birds don't have shoulders :-O - maybe it could be called Black-wristed Not-kite ;)

I prefer the nice Spanish name - Eliano (simplemente).

English names are not matching reality of classification. Tribe Elanini (all called kites in English, including Elanus) and tribe Milvini , with our large Milvus kites, seem un-related.

http://jboyd.net/Taxo/Accipitriformes.pdf

However, I've much doubt that one day English names can match classification. "Warbler" is a name given to birds from more than 10, often not closely related, families; birds of the bunting family in America are often called sparrows. Waxbills are often called Finches, as some American buntings and some African weavers... it is never ending. Orioles, blackbirds, thrushes, babblers...

English names are not matching reality of classification... it is never ending. Orioles, blackbirds, thrushes, babblers...

Thanks Alino - it certainly is, and we should not take it too seriously. Still, I'm a fan of simple evocative names like Eliano or Merlin but then maybe I'm just too sentimental....

In Portuguese they are called Peneireiro-cinzento - the Grey Hoverer ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back