• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will I ever get to Wales? (1 Viewer)

Reader

As I said in my thread of yesterday we were intending to go to Wales today but events overtook us. Thankfully it was birding events that stopped us going to Wales as a rather special bird turned up in our area and I had to go for it which delayed me far too long to carry on to Wales, but more of that later.

I had decided not to go after the Black Scoter in North Wales. Instead I decided to stay local for 2 birds then carry on to Gigrin farm, near Rhayder, after the Kites. First birds we went after were a couple of reported Bramblings at Upton Warren flashes reserve.

We started out at a respectable 08:15 and after about 10 mins I was photographing a sunrise over a local park not far from us. I will put this into the gallery. A few minutes later I was taking another sunrise shot which again I will put into the gallery. I must admit that though it was very cold these brilliant sunrises do give you a lift.

Arriving at Upton Warren it was bitterley cold and the clouds had appeared. It looked cold and foreboding. Baring in mind that this was about 25 mins after I took the shot of the sun rising over the fields. For the first time that I could remember the main sailing lake had completly iced over. I have taken a photo of this to show you what it looked like and that will go into the gallery as well.

I arrived at the flashes garden and within about 10 minutes was looking at 2 lovely Bramblings but unfortunately they were very flighty and wouldn't settle down long enough to take a photo. Shame as I haven't got any shots of these birds at all. The whole garden had frozen over and likewise the flashes. I have taken a photo of the flashes area so you can see for yourself what the conditions were like and have attached it to this thread.

The other reported bird I decided to go after was a Firecrest that had been reported near to Stourbridge. We soon found ourselves at the side of a wood that is next to Round Hill sewage works, near to Sourton. Hardly a bird stirred apart from the odd Blue Tit and a brave Robin that dropped right by the side of me. What a lovely shot it would have made but my mind was blinkered on finding the Firecrest. I suddenly realised that I should take this shot of the Robin but it was as if it sensed my change of mood as it flew away as i reached for my camera. Typical!!

There were about 10 other birders looking for the Firecrest and we stood about 5 yards apart scanning the trees and bushes for any sign of life. A Great Tit alarm call resounded around the wood and all manner of birds took flight. Redwings, Fieldfare, Long tail Tits, Greenfinch took flight plus a new year bird for me when 3 Goldcrests landed nearby. But were they all Goldcrests? One bird looked whiter underneath but it wouldn't turn to face me for ages. Then it did and the white supercillium showed and I was watching my first Firecrest of the year.

It was now nearly 11:30 and if I were to reach Rhayder for about 14:00 then it was now that I should be making a move.

We were approaching Kidderminster when my pager bleeped. I had set it to only bleep if anything was found in the local area. A smashing bird had landed at Holt Prairies which is about 8 miles north of Worcester. We were about 20 minutes away and the bird was too good to miss. It was a relatively rare bird for this area plus I have never known one at this particular site before. Pedal to the metal time and we were off, arriving at the said 20 minutes later. 4 birders were already there with scopes up. I could see the bird from the car but wanted to get my scope and camera onto it. 2 minutes later I was taking a series of shots of the bird hoping to get at least one decent shot. I have got one half decent shot which I will place in the gallery.

Oh!! I forgot to tell you what bird it was didn't I. It was a beautiful Snow Bunting in its white / black and brown plumage. I stayed watchiing that stunning looking bird for almost an hour as I am captivated by the beauty of these birds in this plumage. There just like darting little snow flakes when they fly.

It was far too late to go to Wales now so we went to Eyemore wood which is located at the side of Trimple reservoir, just outside of Kidderminster. 40+ Crossbills and 30+ Siskin had been reported there.

We arrived there about 14:30 to a bitterley cold wind that seemed to rip right through you. Ros decided to stay in the car whilst I went searching the areas they had been last seen. It took me about 10 minutes to locate the Siskin flock that buy now had decreased to about 15 but there were no sign of the Crossbills. I had walked around for about 45 minutes but not a sign could be seen.

5 Mandarins had been reported yesterday at the lower Trimpley reservoir and the walk down that way, over the Severn Valley Railway line, could quite possibly produce Crossbills so collecting Ros, Jasper & Max, we set off in search of both Mandarin and Crossbill but it was all in vain. The reservoir was full of Mallard duck and Black headed Gulls as well as 5 Great crested Grebe and one beauty of a bonus bird when a Kingfisher flew past us twice as we walked the reservoir perimeter. Walking back to the car we were treated to a Great Spotted Wodpecker as it landed on the side of a tree quite near to us. This was the 3rd one seen today as 2 had flew past us whilst we were driving earlier in the day.

I suppose there will be a day when we do reach Wales but if birds of the calibre of the Snow Bunting keep appearing ( I should be so lucky) then I doubt it.

Even though the weather had turned extremely cold and dark we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

I won't forget the Snow Bunting in a hurry I can tell you. Red Kites I can go and see anytime but Snow Buntings, in Worcestershire, no contest (as much as I love seeing the Kites).

Attachments

• upton warren frost.jpg
    upton warren frost.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 283
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back