• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting Bird Song -UP, Michigan (1 Viewer)

Rapala

I recorded this bird song earlier today. Over the hum of distant highway noise, there is a quick "trill-buzz" song of an unknown bird. These songs are located at 2, 6, and 14 seconds into the recording. From what I could tell, the bird was within a low scrubby thicket along a fairly marshy stretch of habitat. This song struck me as odd, as I have never heard enything like it before. It does not resemble the slow buzzy song of the Golden-Winged Warbler (the target bird of the trip), or any other warbler that I can remember having heard. However, there is resemlance between the bird in the recording and the "dawn song" of the Blue Winged Warbler (see the audio in question here). The staccato notes leading up to a quick buzz are similar to both recordings. Although a rare find, a Blue-Winged Warbler would be a possibility for this area, and they are seen occasionally elsewhere in the UP. I'd be grateful if this could be confirmed or identified otherwise. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Bird Song ID.mp3
    387.8 KB · Views: 57
Thanks for the reply Randy.
I do agree, my recording is similar to the final two phrases in the typical song of the Cerulean Warbler (I assume you are suggesting a variation of this), but in all recordings I have seen of Cerulean Warbler, the final buzz is a higher pitch than the trill leading up to it. In my recording, the final buzz initially drops in pitch and raises to the average pitch of the trill prior to it. I've attached a snip of a heavily cleaned up version of my recording, if it is of any help. While having no experience with Cerulean Warblers, I have read that they prefer to remain high in the trees of mature woodlands. The bird recorded was within a low willow/alder thicket in a marshy area. Is this just too out of place?

I have studied many sonograms from Xeno-Canto, and while very helpful, I cannot find a recording from any species that matches what I have. However, there are several promising recordings of variant songs of Golden-Winged Warblers, including this recording and this one. The only difference between these and mine is the duration of the trill and the introductory notes leading up to the buzz. To add to the confusion, I have also heard Blue-Winged Warbler song variations (some on xeno-canto) that are quite similar to my recording. GWWA would certainly be more expected, as several pairs nest in this area annually, but BWWA is still a possibility. Can my recording be positively identified?

Attachments

• WarblerSonoClip.JPG
    WarblerSonoClip.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I should have said before - it doesn't sound like a typical anything. I haven't studied sonograms much so I'm little help there. It may well be something other than a Cerulean - it just reminded me of that most. Haven't heard a Blue-winged ever sing like that (but there's a first time for everything).

Today I heard this same song again in a different area of similar habitat. Golden-Winged Warbler would be a good report for this location if that is what truly is making this vocalization. Any new input or confirmation on this would be great. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back