• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirm juvenile Cormorant please - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
Seen at my local Reservoirs this morning. It was keeping away from the other Cormorants, and stayed behind when all of the rest flew off. I just wanted to confirm that the white plumage is because it's a juv.

Not the best of pictures, as the light was bad (the Weather man lied again |=)|) and it's quite a heavy crop.

Thanks.

Attachments

• P1410910R.JPG
    P1410910R.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 335
Thanks, Dave, I thought it was, but I like to confirm it.

It was the only juv that I spotted today, but I did notice the Grey Herons were in their old nests and squabbling. So looks like they'll be breeding soon.

Juvenile Gt. Cormorant. If you were hoping for anything else, ( I was going to say the obvious but I'm in a rather restrained mood today :t: ) Cormorant has a much thicker/ heavier bill and the belly is the palest part of the undersides, unlike Shag which has the breast paler.
Chris

Hi all,

According to the rather excellent book Frontiers in Birding does this bird look as though it has a chance of being a "sinensis" ? I've never really got into Cormorant races but with Chris's photos I might learn something.

Barry

Hi all,

According to the rather excellent book Frontiers in Birding does this bird look as though it has a chance of being a "sinensis" ? I've never really got into Cormorant races but with Chris's photos I might learn something.

Barry

I do have a few more pictures of this bird, Barry, but from what I've read here it might not be enough to confirm subspecies.

EDIT: wrong thread, I don't have more pictures of this bird.|=)|

Another EDIT: I just re-checked; I do have a few more pictures of this bird.

Last edited:
it looks like a classic sinensis to me, with the square rear edge to the gular patch, a nice over 90 degree angle in the top left croner of the gular patch and the lower most point of the patch falling level with or behind the eye.
Cheers
James

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back