• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lochwinnoch 17 April (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

Had an enjoyable, if very cold and wet day at RSPB Lochwinnoch nature reserve.

I managed to see several new birds for the year, including two Little Grebes - one of which was right in front of the hide so I got excellent views of it. It kept catching tiny fish only for them to slip away again.

Saw my first Moorhen of the year, and it's the first time I've noticed that they're quite a bit smaller than Coots, which there must have been well over twenty on the water.

Also saw only my second Bullfinch in four years. Unfortunately it flew off after a few seconds.

Saw three of my big 'summer' birds - House Martin, Sand Martin and Swallow. Now waiting patiently for the Swift to arrive, along with the Warblers.

A female Smew has been present for the past week or so, I saw that today. According to the staff, a male has been present too, but I never caught a glimpse of that.

It was great to hear all the woodland birds in full song, despite the weather - it certainly livened up what is often quite a quiet reserve.

Good Stuff JT, thanks for sharing.

Hey, Smew and Swallow on the same day... that can't happen that often!!!

:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back