• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does anybody use the Canon 400mm F2.8L lens? (1 Viewer)

imagedude

Does anybody use the 400mm F2.8 lens or is the 500/600mm always a better choice? I'm surprised that the 400mm (other than the F5.6 version) is rarely mentioned.

try http://www.lokicsaba.hu/fajlista.html you will see some fantastic images.

Some might argue that 400mm is too short for most types of birding photography but I have seen prints which were so sharp and detailed they would blow your socks off. I would certainly consider this if finance and portability allowed. It's a heavy beast and many will think that that if you are going to cart around that sort of weight then you may as well have the 600mm lens and that in fairness is a good argument. If you have good fieldcraft or access to birds close up then this lens has to be a very serious contender. Super fast focusing, great bokeh...if Carlsberg made lenses it would probably be this one :-O

Some might argue that 400mm is too short for most types of birding photography but I have seen prints which were so sharp and detailed they would blow your socks off. It's a heavy beast and many will think that that if you are going to cart around that sort of weight then you may as well have the 600mm lens and that in fairness is a good argument.

I bought my 600mm f4 from someone who was trading it in to get the 400mm f2.8 for photographing motorbike racing. I would guess that is more the kind of application that this lens is designed for.

nah, don't buy that philosophy

try http://www.lokicsaba.hu/fajlista.html

Some might argue that 400mm is too short for most types of birding photography but I have seen prints which were so sharp and detailed they would blow your socks off.

Nah, don't buy that....birding is birding.....if you know how to bird you can just about do anything you want with a 400 or 300 lens....I have a 300 and sure, even with the TC of 1.4 I can't reach all but I can reach plenty. The key to this question is not if the 400 is good enough or the 300, it is (a) do you have enough money to purchase a 600mm? and (b)...do you know how to 'bird' in the first place or are you here just to do quickies and get out with the shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back