• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 500mm f4 (1 Viewer)

Glaucous1

Just trying to get used to using one of these.

Am I right in thinking that IS is always left on, regardless of whether it is tripod mounted or not.

If it is tripod mounted is mode 2 the right one to use, with mode 1 for hand held situations (don't anticipate too many of these).

I realise there's no substitute for practising with it, but any comments appreciated.

Many thanks.

some ideas here http://www.wildlifeimagesbyles.net/Technique/technique.html#IS

it always struck me that there was little difference and little visible effect with IS but in the gale last week trying to keep a still image on the distant prat it was very clear that without IS on the image through the viewfinder was wobbling all over the place; with it on it was almost rock steady (lens on camera bag low to ground) so I wondered if the the effect of IS is actually greater with more movement of the lens? does this make sense and is it possible? maybe a technical answer out there somewhere - I use on all the time and mode 1 for what its worth

Thanks for that, looks like mode 1 is the one to use for most shots, with the IS always on.

Did do some tests on a static object a few days ago in reasonable conditions & light, and was struggling to see much of a difference in the images with the IS on or off (or even what mode was selected).

Think the mode 2 comment I'd read somewhere, the point being only reduced stabilisation was required when it was tripod mounted.

If you guys are using those settings to get your results, then that's the way to go.

Had another bash at a couple of test shots in some fairly poor conditions in Yorkshire today ie: lead grey skies and heavy rain.

Not a huge sample (3 shots on each setting), but tripod mounted the shots with or without IS were pretty good on mode 1, don't look as good on mode 2.

Hi
Mode 1 will correct both vertical and horizontal movement, mode 2 only corrects vertical movement. Use mode 2 when tracking a moveing subject such as BIF or motor sport etc since in this situation you don't want the IS to correct horizontal movement. If I remember I turn IS off when on a tripod but I often forget and be be honest don't think it matters much.
Peter

But Arthur Morris says:
Set IS Mode 2 and leave it there whether you are on a tripod or hand-holding. IS Mode 2 performs exactly as IS Mode 1 when you are working with static subjects.

But Arthur Morris says:
Set IS Mode 2 and leave it there whether you are on a tripod or hand-holding. IS Mode 2 performs exactly as IS Mode 1 when you are working with static subjects.

Interesting - might this also be true for a 100 - 400 IS Zoom do you think?

Adrian

The person the lens came from used it for aviation photography, and set it on mode 2 for panned shots of planes in flight, presumably in the same way Marcus does.

No one is having problems using mode 1, and that is pretty much the favoured choice by everyone, so I'll leave it on that setting - one less thing to think about.

Thanks for all of the advice and help given - much appreciated.

Last edited:
Interesting - might this also be true for a 100 - 400 IS Zoom do you think?

Adrian

I think you will find the IS is a different type on the two lenses.
The 100-400mm lens has the older type, the 500m will detect when the lens is mounted on a tripod (contrary to instrusction manual)
C

I always use mode1 for handheld shots, mode2 is intended for horizontal and vertical panning and on subjects that are moving erractically. The 500f4L has a sensor that detects when the lens is tripod mounted and automatically switches off the IS, but if the switch is left in the ON position power is still used up by the IS circuits even though the IS does not work, reducing the number of shots by around 20% on a fully charged battery.

Clive

www.flickr.com/photos/mosesdavies

The 500f4L has a sensor that detects when the lens is tripod mounted and automatically switches off the IS

Surely this is only the case if the set-up is rigidly locked up on the tripod?

What actually triggers the sensor to turn off the IS? I was originally told that my 300mm f2.8 also detects when it is tripod mounted via the tripod mounting screw and disables the IS, but obviously this isn't the case. If it was the IS would never work if the lens is fitted with a quick-release plate, even when hand-held unless the plate was removed each time.
The detection must be by the amount of movement detected by the camera of the image on the sensor. As long as there is sufficient movement the IS will detect it and stabilize the image. At 500mm+ there will almost certainly be some movement unless you are using a remote release on a day with absolutely no wind or vibration.

I use my 300mm 2.8 (+QR plate) with a 2xTC both hand-held and tripod mounted and with IS always on (mode 2). When tripod-mounted it is with pan, tilt & mounting-ring clamp all loosened slightly to allow following BIF and the IS works all the time.

Would this not be the case if using the 500mm in the same manner?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back