• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woods Mill with thejamman (1 Viewer)

RockyRacoon

This is our trip report for woods Mill, we saw loads so we are just going to list them.

Many Blue tits and Great tits (noticed Great tits were more common)
Robin common
Reed Bunting only saw 1 briefly flew over reedbed
Many Magpies
A few Crows
Few Chiffchaffs
Quite a few Chaffinches, noted more males than females
Many Nuthatches
And again the woodpecker list goes up x2 Great Spotted woodpeckers
Single Male Mallard, not very tame, only duck seen in area
Marsh tits, two in woods area, they were pretty much oblivious to our presence
Many Blackbirds
Male Blackcap (harsh call similar to stonechat)
Unidentified bird of prey (sparrowhawk?)
Tawny Owl*
Single Jay
Unidentified warbler (willow/reed?)
Grey squirrel
Grass snake**

*Tawny Owl story
We were in Hoe woods and we heard the unmistakable call of a Tawny Owl in daylight (2:30!) thejamman saw a brown bird fly throughthe woods low, we moved down the path we were on later to hear distant rampaging kids coming towards us. thejamman then saw the owl fly off in the opposite direction to the rampaging kids. (who were picking wildflowers! evil) Me being the one of us that has not seen an owl before was annoyed when the owl was completely scared when the kids got to us. So I didn't see the owl. This made me grumpy. But then from the trees thejamman saw 'Blue tits' but lucky for him I being so proffessional identified them as Marsh tits which made me happier

**Grass Snake
thejammans first snake in the wild

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back